I need some advice on hardware !!!

Smelly-Finger

OSNN Junior Addict
Thanks for reading this ! :)

I'm on a real tight budget and I need to repair/upgrade my machine the MoBo is about to die on me and I'm not too sure what to go for AMD or Intel.

I have/had an PIII 500 with PC100 memory
SB Live 5.1
GeForce 2MX
Adaptec SCSI card
3Com 3c905b NIC
Realtek 5 port PCI hub
Dxr 3 decoder card

What I would like to hear is what you think I should go for. :confused: I don't really want or need MoBo's with intergrated sound, graphics or LAN. I have a 250v PSU and I probably will need to upgrade that as well. The reason I'm asking is coz i'm not too sure exactly what I need to upgrade and what I can keep. All I need is the bits to make it work I can upgrade sound and graphic later.

350v PSU minimum
AMD of course, why pay more for less ????
I like MSI motherboards, or Asus
leave the sounds with the sblive
need new Video card though dude

cool.gif

For a tight budget you can't go wrong with AMD
Basically I agree with what Iceman said

So do you think this is a good deal or not ??

ASUS A7V8X MoBo - £77
AthlonXP 1700 - £33
256mb 333 DDR - £55

The PSU's I've been looking at on Dabs and OC seem a bit pricey at between £40 - £60 is that right coz I could just buy a new case for not that much more than that.

Aye I know I need a new graphics card but I can't afford it until after christmas.

Not sure about those prices in pounds, but check www.pricewatch.com. If you plan on playing any games or videocard dependant programs, and don't upgrade your video card, you won't see much more than a 2x increase in speed.

Go with AMD; for your budget; an Intel wil cost you more and perform less.

AMD = Good Intel = Evil (I Live By That Moto)

if your not into music editing and all that id say stick wit your old card or use onboard sound on your new mobo most of em support it and there not much different than your dedicated 1

I'd go for Intel, but that's just me. I don't like the sounds of the "jet-engine" class fans needed to cool an AMD XP. ;) I like silence better.

Cheers Guys :)

So it's AMD then for me all I need to do is go and pimp myself and see about getting enough money together :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back