I need help with html ...

L

lechtard

Here is one for you gurus, as I am still learning. anyway - I am making a autorun disk, the autorun is going to look like a webpage. I am trying to find an html code that will let me use it in any cd-rom no matter what drive letter it is.

Otherwards, If I make the file:\\\ link to e: it will only work in cd-roms that are drive lettered e:. I want to be able to have something like file:\\\{source disk}\file.exe .. this way it will work in any cd-rom no matter what the drive letter is ..

does anyone know how to do this ???

Code:
file:///./folder/file.exe
that would give a relative link from where-ever the html file is.

So if that was on E:\ that link would be to E:\folder\file.exe and if it was on F:\html\files it woulf be F:\html\files\folder\file.exe and so on..

As a matter of fact I do have such a tool, it's an exe that autorun "calls", which in turn, runs the HTML file you specify. Unfortunately, it is at home and I'm at work; and it'll be about 8-9 hours before I get back. :(

I can't even remember where I got it because it was quite a while ago, I don't think it's "illegal". A quick search on "autorun HTML" in google turns up many hits. All that I found on the NET are shareware. Maybe one of those will fit your needs? Do the same query at download.com to see some of the shareware versions.

But there is a way! Create a file called Autorun.inf and type in the file:

Code:
[Autorun]
open=file.exe

It will work (Hey you can even set a icon for the disk using Autorun.inf) Just add:
Code:
[icon]
file=cd.ico

Thanx for the help m8's - I'll check them all out ..

ViperSnake you would need

open=file.exe

for that to work

O.k I tried everything with this and all it wants to do is download it, I'm thinking I might need to have a vbscript or something - does anyone remember where there is a vb script at that will let me do it ??

Well instead for opening the exe file you just put in index.html. Then from there use recursive links for it, so when you <a href='./otherfile.html'>link</a>. make sure its recursive and not relative.

P.S. Use double quote instead of ', i am in Switzerland at the moment, keyboard is swiss.

Something like this might work:
Code:
[Autorun]
open=start index.html

O.k there a couple of diff answers here let me clarify it a little.

I am making a autorun cd -- This is going to be like a webpage. I have it all working "EXCEPT" the links to execute the files. I want it to execute and install the prog when I click on the link, what it wants to do now is download it: I tried relative links - they don't work, I tried the macro "<A href="HECOM://OPENFILE=file.exe>" that don't work, I tried "./file.exe", that don't work.

I think there has to be a vbscript or Java script to do it - I just can't find it and can't figure this out for the life of me, I know there is a way to do it.

Aha, I get it. Might be tricky.

Have you tried <a href="file:///./thefile.exe">thefile</a> instead of http://?

first zedric using HTTP:// would work if it was read from a cdrom, second the other one just tells iexplore to visit that file, and then it goes, ah exe, lets download.

I thought it would be possible to trick IE with the file:/// instead of http://.
But I suppose the patched that huh?

This will work in any CD drive letter so long as you are trying to run it in Windows
[autorun]
icon=
shellexecute=index.htm
Also that autorun segment is in use on a CD I have and I just popped it in and it ran just fine. It opened index.htm with my default web browser

If you want to add an option in the popup menu for the CD drive to lets say open a README.txt file then you can have this

[autorun]
icon=
shellexecute=index.htm
shell\readme\command=notepad README.txt
shell\readme=Read &Me

So you know this was all in that MSDN link I first posted in this thread

Originally posted by Geffy
This will work in any CD drive letter so long as you are trying to run it in Windows

Also that autorun segment is in use on a CD I have and I just popped it in and it ran just fine. It opened index.htm with my default web browser

If you want to add an option in the popup menu for the CD drive to lets say open a README.txt file then you can have this

So you know this was all in that MSDN link I first posted in this thread

first I would like to thank you for the help you are are giving .. but it's not what I'm looking for. Let me explain it this way: You know how when you click on a link on active desktop it runs the prog ?? (I already read the tuturial and such that maddmatt posted) is there any way to have that so it works the same way on a autorun cd, as well as bypass the activex warning ??

the Html page is done - it loads great and it works great, just when I click on the link to run the executable it tries to download it, I want to run it... So I was thinking that there should be some way to make a vb script to have it run instead of download, you know what I mean ??

ah
PCPLUS used to do something similar to this. But each link to be opened was sent through a piece of java code and if it was .zip, .exe it was opened/run

thanx geffy - Now if I could find the code I would be set ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back