I need help uninstalling Windows Media Player 11

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
I tried uninstalling the media palyer and then the runtime, but it still says media player 11. On every machine I instralled MP 11 when I go to mtv's overdrive and try to play a music video either it just shows black or it freezes my computer.

I need step by step instructions please to get back to MP 10.

Thanks.

MTV's Overdrive doesn't work with WMP 11 and if you manage to uninstall it it still doesn't work.

Q. How do I uninstall the Player?

A. Windows Media Player is a feature of the Windows operating system and cannot be removed entirely. However, depending upon which version of the Player and Windows that you are using, you might be able to roll back to the version of the Player that was previously on your computer. The procedure varies depending upon which version of the Player you are running.

Windows Media Player 11

1. In Category View of Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.

2. Click Remove a program, and then, at the top of the list, select the Show updates check box.

3. In the Windows Updates section, click Windows Media Player 11, and then click Change/Remove.

4. If prompted, restart your computer, and then log on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group.

5. In Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs.

6. In the Windows Updates section, click Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and then click Change/Remove.

7. If prompted, restart your computer, and then log on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group.

8. In Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then click Remove a program.

9. Click Microsoft User-Mode Driver Frameworks Feature Pack 1.0, and then click Change/Remove.

Note: If you remove Windows Media Player 11 and the Windows Media Format 11 Runtime, and you try to play a protected file, you may get an error message indicating that the Player cannot play, burn, or sync protected files. To resolve the problem, you can install the Windows Media Format 9.5 Runtime. For information about installing the Runtime, in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, see article 891122, "Update for Windows Media Digital Rights Management-enabled players."

You can also use System Restore to roll back to the previous version of the Player. For more information about System Restore, see Use System Restore to Undo Changes if Problems Occur.

Don't think you can uninstall but you can roll back to a previous version.

Hello AZ, i am having the same problem as wingman...i want to delete wmp 11. But according to you and someone at my chuch i had talked too...i can only roll it back. So where do i go to roll it back? I am running XP pro and i can't find where to go. A couple places that i went to is device mananger (didn't find anything there) and i went to my CD drive, rt clicked, properties,Autoplay and still i didn,t find anything. HELP!

blessedhusband - You should post what you did, so others could do the same if needed.

wingman/gonaads - I'm not on my pc now so I can't check, but I have done this before by going to control panel>add/remove>remove windows components (i think..or something similar) and I believe Windows Media Player is on the list...could be wrong though

I tried uninstalling the media palyer and then the runtime, but it still says media player 11. On every machine I instralled MP 11 when I go to mtv's overdrive and try to play a music video either it just shows black or it freezes my computer.

I need step by step instructions please to get back to MP 10.

Thanks.

Wingman411: What i had done
was follow the instruction posted by gonaads, for rolling back from wmp11 to wmp 10. And that was (btw i am using the xp os) to go to add remove programs and check the box that says, "show updates". When i did that all that i high lighted to change or remove was mp11. Actually it rolled me back to mp 9 and i installed mp 10. I found that gonaads instructions to be very helpful. So, perhaps you can find his posts and find the one that helped me :up:

I also need to rollback WMP too but I can't do it. I need to remove WMP 11 because it has turned my laptop into a stuttering fool. I cannot play any music or video files as it is too painful to listen to the constant stuttering. I followed the correct steps to rollback, but it just says Rollback failed. As long as this version of the program stays, my laptop is just an expensive piece of junk!

Mahlia

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back