i need gaming help

theageofempires

OSNN Newbie
hi all
first of all i am die hard gamer.. We have a group in our college who make nightouts playing age of empires rise of rome in our computer centre like hell.... Earlier the ports were not blocked.. But now the authority have installed windows service pack 2 which is creating hell lot of problems.. we are unable to play multiplayer LAN games in the centre because of windows firewall ... Can we get any patches for it...
Moreover i would like to know if the are any means to get the information about the ports which are enabled and disabled... Are there any means to swap the ports...
Please reply with solutions cause there are only 50 more days left for us in our college...

thanking all

First of all service pack 2 isnt causing you a hell of a lot of problems :D

You can disable the windows firewall if you can start up services.msc and disable the firewall service for that session.

The games support site should tell you what ports are required however I couldnt tell you how to add them to windows firewall as I use Outpost pro to filter who does what on my public addresed pc.

Stop clock watching :p

You could just open the ports needed in the firewall and it will work again. The port are probably available in some documentation about the game (check the developer's website).

hi thanks for your replies..
But we are not the administrators... moreover we dont have any floppy or cd drives to do anything.. everything runs on server....
Please consider it...

How about asking the administrators? Or are you not allowed to play games on the network???

Unless you talk to the admins there's nothing you can do. It's not about which ports are blocked, all ports are blocked except the ones allowed.

theageofempires said:
hi thanks for your replies..
But we are not the administrators... moreover we dont have any floppy or cd drives to do anything.. everything runs on server....
Please consider it...

well if they worked before i suggest telling the administrator. Being you pay for the bandwidth with your college tuition i would demand them opening the ports.

On the server side ..only a few minor settings are needed .. like enabling the games mentioned or in some cases the ports needed to play the game (which would say which ports in the configuration settings for LAN)

hi
thanks for your replies but the admin is against the gaming... So wat to do... Is it possible to use some kind of port swapper so that i can swap the ports and make the work through already enabled ports... Presently i am workin on this in the net.. If u people think this will be a good idea without any help of admin then please guide me through the process...

thanking all

theageofempires said:
hi
thanks for your replies but the admin is against the gaming... So wat to do... Is it possible to use some kind of port swapper so that i can swap the ports and make the work through already enabled ports... Presently i am workin on this in the net.. If u people think this will be a good idea without any help of admin then please guide me through the process...

thanking all
I doubt it. If any ports are enabled on the servers, it should only be the ports that are acctually used, which means some software is allready listening on them. So even if you had a port swapper (never heard of that btw) you probably couldn't use and open port.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back