I need advice

Steevo

Spammer representing.
Political Access
It is time for a new graphics card. I would like something with a decent OC ability, or hot as hell from the factory.

I want a ATI chipset, and around the $250 mark.

I have looked at some X800's from sapphire and powercolor. But wanted some opinions.

Thanks.

What kind of cpu do you have?

Intel 865PERL AGP board
1Gb RAM
2.8 OC'd to 3.0 P4

Hey Steevo check out my previous thread HERE... Seems we were looking at roughly the same Idea...

but it will cost you a little over your $250 mark

Gricegrabber look for the X800XL

Ahhh, ok nvm helps if I read the entire post. I see now your looking at the x800 not neccessarily the X800XL

Last edited:
I have read up and found that a Sapphire X800 Pro will reflash to a X800XT carde with pretty good OC'ing ability.

12-->16 Piplines and a few other misc upgrades.

I've had absolutely no trouble with my sapphire 9600XT - so the brand to me is a good one.

As Mlakrid mentioned - look into the X800XL - pretty good bang for the buck - though it's above your targets.

Advice - WAIT!!!!!!!!

New NVidia and ATI GPUs due out June 21 and July 26 respectively. As soon as the new toys are out last years top of the line board prices will drop sharply. By the end of July you may be able to get a much better card for your $250.

True.dat

I have just a little lag in a few games even though I OC my 9600XT. And I wanted a kick in the arse so far as GPU's were concerned.

Last edited:
I'm gonna concur with the consensus here... July 26 (for ATI) isn't that far away... Best to wait. Other thing it allows you to see is whether a lower end "budget" option is released with the card.

Given that the high end might come out around $350, there's a possibility... You might check Pricewatch or some such place too, and see what the best deal you can get, for around $250 at that time...

I am waiting.....

I OC'd my AGP bus to get a little more for now. There was a definate improvement in NFSU and HL2.

/waits....

Stock speeds. ATI 9600XT 3.3NS Memory

297Mem
499Core

OC'd
297Mem
578Core

Stable with a few games under its belt. I was scared at first to go over about 550 but I would run 3Dmark05 each time I clocked it up and would check the temps. It stll wasn't getting really hot at 580ish but it would leave fragments soemtimes and it finally locked up at 588Mhz core and 297Mem. The Memory is DDR so it still isnt a 1to1 match on core to memory clock. But the speed up was a definate improvemnt.

Steevo said:
Stock speeds. ATI 9600XT 3.3NS Memory

297Mem
499Core

OC'd
297Mem
578Core

Stable with a few games under its belt. I was scared at first to go over about 550 but I would run 3Dmark05 each time I clocked it up and would check the temps. It stll wasn't getting really hot at 580ish but it would leave fragments soemtimes and it finally locked up at 588Mhz core and 297Mem. The Memory is DDR so it still isnt a 1to1 match on core to memory clock. But the speed up was a definate improvemnt.

Thats very nice steevo, I had problems with the new catalyst drivers what you using?

I am going to wait for the Graphics card update until after I paid for my 2405 FPW, but I need to gain some juice out of my 9600xt until then :) PM me or something

my 2 cents:
wait for the new ones, and while you're waiting save some money to up the budget.
seems like a win win situation to me.

ps: does anyone know what kind of ram goes into a toshiba satellite 2410, the users manual and website disagree...

Ohzopants said:
my 2 cents:
wait for the new ones, and while you're waiting save some money to up the budget.
seems like a win win situation to me.

ps: does anyone know what kind of ram goes into a toshiba satellite 2410, the users manual and website disagree...

I'm not sure if he ever upgraded the memory in it, but a friend of mine has a Toshiba satelite. Not sure the model on his though... He might have an idea

The only problem I have had so far.

Upon resuming windows hte display is corrupted and you must restart to clean it. I do not know if this is due to the driver not being loaded and a basic vga driver being used untill windoes loads or a implementation of the omega-radlinker driver.

I will do more work on it.

The other thing is that I can sell both cards when I get a X800.

I was also looking at the 256Mb Sapphire version for $159.00 I dunno what the difference is tween the 128 and the 256 other than more memory, for not alot more????

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back