I need a Career!!!

the_music_man

aka prodj88 =P
i need helping choosing a career! i should be at my counselor but i just wanna see the opinion of everyone else. im thinking about biomedical engineering which sounds really neat considering i like biology and engineering but then i found out hte average salary is like 60K a year which is decent but i've also been considering optometry which is like around 110K a year. a huge difference. optometry doesn't seem like fun/rewarding but the salary makes me ponder. lol what do u guys think? i don't wanna be stuck with a career i don't like, i mean optometry is alright, but right now i don't see it as eye-catching . i think i just made a joke :eek:

Your never truely "stuck" in any career. I also think a career that would make you like work more would be a lot more rewarding then one that makes you hate getting up everyday.

An "average salary" is just that... average. Chances are you could make much more than that, especially after years in the field. It's more important to love your job. Most anyone will tell you that. So take that for what it's worth. :)

Euro M.E.P. they get paid fortunes for sitting on their arse's doing nothing. They live off their expenses accounts.

Like Muzikool said, find a carrer you like and will keep you interested reguardless of the pay. I have worked jobs that paid me $85K a year and I hated those 2 years. I had to force myself to goto work and I dreaded every day of it. All the money in the world can't make up for a miserable job. Find a carrer that is challenging now and in the future, and that excites you daily. When you find a job where you would rather be at work than at home, that is the job to keep.

Electronic Punk said:
Become an airline hostess.
lol that would be a good/funny one, but airline pilots make even more money :D i'd do that except that i've seen all these shows on discovery channel about plane crashes and stuff oofff i'm going back to saudi on a ship in the summer

think my dad is in saudi atm, either there or miami and he went to washington for the day last week, high life eh? :eek:

For many I've met/know, the bottom line is money, nobody gives a øøøø.

Ask yourself this: what kind of job could you have and then in your elder years say that you were proud and happy with what you did and had little regrets. That might be hard to imagine - if you don't know now, and you're motivated none the less, it'll certainly come to you :)

You can't be ' stuck ' in a career, yes, but if you go to college and med school, stay there for ten years, and at the end find that's not something you want to do...you learned something great, but there's many years of your young life gone. On the other hand, if you spend 10 years there knowing you want to be an MD, none of that time will seem like a waste or a chore to you.

I just fell into my career by accident... dropped out of college, got a job which paid for me to be trained and now I'm a qualified CAD Draughtsman/welder and I'm doing an NVQ in engineering - and I always intended to be a blacksmith or to go into computers!

For my experience, and that of my parents too, nothing goes according to plan - you can want to be something, but you'll almost always do something else.

It's a crazy old world ;)

I've been thinking of looking for a new job for a while now as my current job involves working 12 hour shifts, 4 days on 4 days off with pretty crap pay and on-call thrown in too (also with a pretty low rate of pay).

I really think a job that you like and are happy in is far more important than the money, but then you start thinking that the job you would be happy in might not actually pay the mortgage, having 4 days off a week is pretty cool and its easy money (even if its not as high as you would like) compared to the amount of work I do.

So whats best: -

1. You hate the job but its easy money & you get 4 days off a week (oh plus 40 days annual leave a year)

or

2. A job you really like doing for reduced pay?

Nick M said:
For many I've met/know, the bottom line is money, nobody gives a øøøø.
i would have to do a job that m good at and like, money is evil, but yeah of course who doesnt want a high paying job?

I did a job I hated, so I left it for a quiet life, I earn 10% of the income I earn't before, lost my house, now living on a Housing estate full of Chav's, pikey's and my neighbour is a neonazi.

What a dumb choice I made. If I could turn back the clock 4 years with hindsight I would know better.

I think what your should do is work the job for that kind of money for 20 years stash it up then make a choice.

You're supposed to ask yourself what you would do if you had a million dollars. That should be your career.

If I had a million dollars/pounds I wouldn't have a mortgage to pay. But I take your point, why do a job that you hate doing? People looking for their ideal career should check out the following website (http://www.assessment.com) as it certainly helped me decide what kind of job I'd like to do.

[Peter, Michael, and Samir around copier]
Peter Gibbons: Our high school guidance counselor used to ask us what you'd do if you had a million dollars and you didn't have to work. And invariably what you'd say was supposed to be your career. So, if you wanted to fix old cars you're supposed to be an auto mechanic.
Samir: So what did you say?
Peter Gibbons: I never had an answer. I guess that's why I'm working at Initech.
Michael Bolton: No, you're working at Initech because that question is bulløøøø to begin with. If everyone listened to her, there'd be no janitors, because no one would clean øøøø up if they had a million dollars.
Samir: You know what I would do if I had a million dollars? I would invest half of it in glorious mutual funds and take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities and
Michael Bolton: Samir, you're missing the point. The point is you're supposed to work out what you
[printer starts beeping]
Michael Bolton: "PC Load Letter"? What the øøøø does that mean?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back