I killed a dell?

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Ok,
this is my problem,
I was fiddling with a piece of sh** dell that is actually in use by someone, it is a dell inspiron 3800.
I unplugged it when it was on and i can not get it to turn on, please help :)

First off, it's not a P.O.S. because it's a DELL. They make quality product and supply most of America with an affordable home-computing solution.

Secondly, there is a good chance you fried the system. If you pulled the plug out while it's on, that's never good. You could try resetting the PSU, but I don't know if that will do the trick.

To do this, follow these steps:

Unplug Power Cord from PC if not already
Hold Power Button on front of case for about 30-45 seconds
There is a red switch on the back near the PSU, flick that back and forth about ten or so times, ending in the same position you started.

Plug it in, give it a shot. Do you get any LED's anywhere on the system? Do you get a blinking amber light on the front panel, anything?

Oh,
I should have mentioned that it is a laptop that is 7 years old...
Thus when i pulled the plug i had no idea that the battery wouldnt work

Yeah, that may have helped :p

Laptop isn't a big deal, but if the battery is dead then the system went caput. If you plug the power back in it should power back up, as long as it did before. Other than that, the modular adapter on the motherboard could be damaged, but not likely.

This is so confusing, i had this problem before with an old ibm...
I can not figure it out so i threw the ibm away, this isnt my dell though...
I really wish the person had told me that it was dead, i even asked if i could (they didnt know i guess).
Any suggestions? or is it fried?

Pulling the plug should not kill a PC (lap or desk). Especially a Dell. They do fairly good power supply designs. Pulling a plug is no worse than lightning knocking out the power grid.

Disconnect the battery if it is not already pulled. Plug in the laptop and turn it on.

If that does not work the CMOS might have gotten corrupted from the power drop out. Try doing a cmos reset. (The jumpers is often accessible from the battery compartment.)

If you get it working replace the cmos battery. It is probably dead and that will aggravate lockups if the power dies.

PS If all else fails toss it in a trash dumpster and claim it was stolen from your car. The auto or homeowners should cover it. (I did not say this.)

PPS I'll let you get away with the crappy Dell comment. 7 years ago they had a much inferior product compared to what they sell now. They've come a long way.

If Reset the cmos switches will it remove any settings on the pc?
It shouldnt right... They'de be on the hdd...

CMOS only holds settings about your computer hardware to be stored in the BIOS - won't hurt anything.

No matter anyways...
I couldnt find them in the short time i had to look for them, the person had to take it back with them, oh well they said it was no problem, they were gonna get a new computer anyways, i pointed them to compaq...

:suprised: Argh, you must hate that person. First you trash their laptop then you send them to HP/Comcrap.

Cruel man cruel.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back