I have two Questions: KVM Switches and Computer Cases

DJ-phYre

To whom it may concern
OK I am in the market for 2 new computer cases. My 2 computers, one that I built, and my Alienware PC that my parents got for me 2 years ago, are really getting on my nerves. They run 24/7 in my room and have no sound dampening what so ever, and they sound like engines running at night.

I am basically looking for 2 different cases, because I don't want the same case for both PCs. My first case choice was the Antec Sonata (http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_details_enclosure.php?ProdID=15138). I am almost sure I am getting this case. But I still am in the market for another *quiet* case, and I am looking for suggestions. I really don't want to have to pay over $150 for the case.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

-----

My second question involves KVM switches. Right now I have a KVM Switch with built on cables. I am looking into getting a better one with 4 port switches. I have 3 computers that I want to hook up to it. I was wondering if wireless mice and keyboards work with KVM switches. I didn't know if the KVM switch being between the PC and the devices would prevent me from using my wireless devices. Also can some people please suggest some KVM switches. I know I am going to have to end up spending quite a bit of money for the switch and the numerous cables I am going to have to buy.

Thanks,

DJ-phYre

The case doesn't make any noise. It's the fans making the noise.

-Put in quieter fans.
-Buy a power supply with a fan that throttles back when the PC is idle.
-Use fan speed controllers.
-Glue 1/8 inch cork to the case side walls on the inside to absorb reflected sound.
-Disconnect the side fan and cover over any side fan openings or vents.
-Face the cases so the fan exhaust in the back faces into a closed are and put more cork behind the case so the sound does not reflect off the walls.

I have done all of the above except the last and the noise level is about half what it was and my cooling is excellent.

The case you have posted just leaves out the fans and uses an air filter to muffle the noise escaping from the air vents. Do the same yourself if your system can stand the loss of cooling.

PS No case in the world is going to help if your CPU HSF is making 90% of the noise.

LeeJend said:
The case doesn't make any noise. It's the fans making the noise.

-Put in quieter fans.
-Buy a power supply with a fan that throttles back when the PC is idle.
-Use fan speed controllers.
-Glue 1/8 inch cork to the case side walls on the inside to absorb reflected sound.
-Disconnect the side fan and cover over any side fan openings or vents.
-Face the cases so the fan exhaust in the back faces into a closed are and put more cork behind the case so the sound does not reflect off the walls.

I have done all of the above except the last and the noise level is about half what it was and my cooling is excellent.

The case you have posted just leaves out the fans and uses an air filter to muffle the noise escaping from the air vents. Do the same yourself if your system can stand the loss of cooling.

PS No case in the world is going to help if your CPU HSF is making 90% of the noise.
Basically these things came in mind, but I just wanted to purchase a case rather than spending time to do these mods lol

Anyways thanks for the great tips :)

EDIT:

As you can tell in my sig I am lazy... So lazy, I don't even know why I edited this post :eek:

my roomate has the sonata case, it is awesome, comes with really quiet 120 mm fan for exhaust, can mount another in front.

as far a kvm switchs, my wireless kb and mouse work with mine.

toretto said:
my roomate has the sonata case, it is awesome, comes with really quiet 120 mm fan for exhaust, can mount another in front.

as far a kvm switchs, my wireless kb and mouse work with mine.
Glad to hear that. Can you give me the specs on your KVM switch?

And did your switch come with the cables or did you have to buy them seperately?

Any vase which comes with 120mm fans are generally quiet than one containing lots of 80mm ones. Antec recently released another case (other than Sonata) which uses these large fans, although the style might not be appealing.

i have a 2 computer belkin kvm switch, it came with all the cables.
bought it at best buy, nothing spectular.

oh, and if you want buy some dynamat and put it in your case, that works wonders for noise dampening

toretto said:
oh, and if you want buy some dynamat and put it in your case, that works wonders for noise dampening
Where can I get a small amount of dynamat, everything I have found is in bulk and is $50+ ... I just need enough for the inside of the case

KVMs are a pain in the ass really ;)
In my experience, if a pc that is booting is not the one currently selected on the KVM then the keyboard and mouse won't work.

Thats with the 4 port belkin anyway, we deal with alot of em at work.
In a lab I have been given to setup

I have 5 tft monitors, 3 keyboards and mice and 12 PCs lol

toretto said:

Dynamat will deaden the sound, but it will also hinder teh natural ability of the case to dissapate heat.

I was looking into an audio and video/ps2 setup... but couldn't you just daisy chain audio out -> mic in -> audio out -> mic in -> audio out? Just don't have audio coming from every machine at once :)

dreamliner77 said:
Dynamat will deaden the sound, but it will also hinder teh natural ability of the case to dissapate heat.

thus the reason they invented fans, dynamat, i bought that at best buy too.
mine was $30 for a roll of it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back