I have a Doozy

M

mspacman

I have a very strange thing that happens to my XP PRO. I have a brand new home made computer with Shuttle AK31 v3 Mobo, 1.8 AMD, 256 Crucial Ram, NVidia Video, Sound blaster Live Sound, 300W AMD approved PS, and Seagate 60 MB HD.

XP PRO will have a critical crash (Reboots or makes me reboot depending on which box I check) within the first ten minutes I first turn it on (This AM - 3min.) whether I am using it or not. It then boots up and will not crash again. I am not sure if this is a hardware of software issue. The error messages vary but usually contains "error with *.sys" - and it is usually a different one each time. I have upgraded my XP including with the service pack. What should I do / check? Thank you.

Make sure your fans are all working and maybe check your memory out. Just cause it's new doesn't mean it good. Really this could be a lot of things hardware related. I'm pretty sure it's hardware related. Start booting up with only the required hadrware (cards, drives) and add one thing (card, drive) until you get the error. If you boot with just the video card and hard drive, and it give you the same problem, then it's either the board, memory, processor or PSU........

I'm sure others will give you some pointers I've probably missed...

P.S.: I've also seen a seemingly *good* cdrom load a corrupt install of Windows. If all else fails, maybe try a different cdrom and do a clean load.....

Its heat related hardware, something is not working right or not making contact till its warmed up. Its usually connectors, plugs and sockets and pins (memory is fave - clean the contacts) When things heat up they all expand at different rates, move against each other and suddenly make good contact. Sometimes the only way to get to the bottom of these things is to use a can of freeze spray and chill things to try and reproduce it. Taking everything apart and putting it back together can also fix it

I also had a dicky disk once that wasnt happy till it was a bit warm
and a memory module that didnt like warming up or cooling down

Oh and as its a home build, watch out for the motherboard mounting posts (where the motherboard is screwed to the little pillars or stand off) As the board expands the earthing thro the posts may go funny or even move enough to short out. Make sure the pillars are centred on the earthing screen round the holes and the screws are tight

for geoff_uk

geoff_uk,

I think you might be correct with the heat expansion idea. I fed my error codes into Microsoft help and it spit out the following:

STOP 0x4E, STOP 0x1A, STOP 0x50, and STOP 0xA Errors Occur When You Try to Start the Computer (Q271955)

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to start your computer, the computer may not start, and the following STOP error messages may occur:

STOP 0x0000001a (0x00041284, 0xca9a2000, 0x000077e0, 0xc0c00000) MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
STOP 0x0000004e (0x00000007, 0x00007abf, 0x0000f17e, 0x00000000)PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
STOP 0x0000000a (0x00000028, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8012d2d6)IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP 0x00000050 (0xc2332b94, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

CAUSE
This behavior can occur when the random-access memory (RAM) on your computer has become corrupt.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, replace the RAM on your computer.

I would think if the RAM was really bad, it would always not work - but if it was a contact problem, it would only affect a cold mobo. What do you think?

yup cold memory is fav here, as i said take them out (gently) clean the contacts with alcohol or something similar, blow any crap out of the memory socket pins, put them bac k and see it re-occurs.

If it does the memory could be duff, it may have some suspect soldering, or ESD problems that only arise when cold. Tke them back for a replacement - it cant hurt.

geoff_uk

:confused:

I have the exact same problem with my pent4 2gig @2.2 w/ an Abit th72 raid mobo. Did you resolve your issue. Did cleaning help or was your ram dodgy?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back