I got two questions...

C

Caligo

Alright, first off a little XP quirk. If I have any jpg files on my desktop their icon will randomly change. Usually it shows a smaller version of the picture in the file. The file works fine, but the icon is replaced by some other icon(scanner icon, any of the adobe program icons, etc.) Any idea why?? I don't think it's a virus because it's done it since I installed XP and I have norton running(i know, not foolproof, but still) Anyone else seen this?

And now to another. I downloaded the trial version of NVDVD and it worked fine...for all of a day. Now whenever I start it, it crashes and gives me an error saying "Unable to run the DirectShow DVD graph." nVidia says to reinstall DirectX. Anyone got a better solution or should I just delete it and move on? Thanks..

~GC

It sounds like several programs keep associating themselves with jpg files, thus changing the icons. go though any image programs you have and check the options for file associations and un-tick jpgs

and for NvDVD try if the updated version 2.22 solves your problem or move on to powerdvd...

Thanks for the replies. I tried resetting the file association. It changed one of the icons back to normal but not the other. The funny thing is that the icons are often for things that have absolutely no connection to graphic files. A few minutes ago I did a search for a file on my computer. When it was finished I closed that window and the other icon returned to normal.

As far as nvdvd, it's 2.22 that's giving me the error. Oh well, I don't think it's worth paying that much to be able to watch the occasional dvd on my computer anyway. Thanks.

~GC

It may help to rebuild and/or increase the icon cache.
To rebuild it TweakUI has this option under repair or delete the file
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\IconCache.db
It will be recreated.

To increase the icon cache, open regedit and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/currentversion/Explorer
In the right window, double click "Max Cached Icons", type the value 8192.
If the value is not there, create it :
Right-click an empty space in the right window and select « new » > « string value ». For the name, type: Max Cached Icons
then double-click it and enter the value 8192.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back