I can't remove a spyware. Help !!!

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
I had inadventently install a bogus file that is a spyware and it randomly open an IE site with ads. I had already ran spybot and ad-aware again and again but it is comes back. I tried to look for an uninstall but none. What else can I use to remove this? I am using Mozilla Firefox as my browser. Thanks.

Look for odd-looking processes running in the task manager. Usually spyware programs have telltale names, and when you end them, they keep coming back. You can reboot Windows in safe mode to delete them.

when i tried to end the process of this file "wuauclt.exe" it came back and back. i will try to find and delete it from safe mode.

percy said:
when i tried to end the process of this file "wuauclt.exe" it came back and back. i will try to find and delete it from safe mode.

Well thats a process for windows update.

Windows Update AutoUpdate Client

why dont you do a print screen of your processes and perhaps we can identify the process and program to delete.

It prolly came through as a Java applet or something like it. One of my daughter's computers had a problem such as this. In your AdAware when it finishes it should show loctions of the spyware files. I found them as a zip file with like 20 files within the zip. took five runs of AdAware to kill them all. It just kept duplicting itself. Look in your Firefox profile directory. There should be a folder that has to do with Java or is named Java. Or in the Firefox directory. (I don't frickin remember :( ) Look in there, there could be some zip files in it that should not be there. I wish I remembered what they looked like or the names of them.

Hope this points ya in the rite direction. :)

this was an EXE file that i downloaded and run. it had a different name so i thought it was the file that I was really looking for. as soon as the IE pops up then I will take a screen shot and post it. thanks.

It's an = Elitum.EliteBar ..
Spybot sees it and after uninstalling it will will resintall itself again. I don't know where to find the file to delete . ???

search for it in windows, once you've found it restart your computer go in to ms dos mode, locate the file and delete, this way it shouldn't be able to replicate itself, i've had to do this a few times, with some persistant spyware.

percy said:
It's an = Elitum.EliteBar ..
Spybot sees it and after uninstalling it will will resintall itself again. I don't know where to find the file to delete . ???
I had exact same problem with that exact same file only yesterday with stupid pop up all the time :mad:
Only way we could get rid of it was to delete it in Safe mode.It was system32 folder I think :)

Lee said:
Well thats a process for windows update.

Windows Update AutoUpdate Client

One would hope it is Lee, but I doubt it.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.clt.html

Run Spybot, and Adaware in safe mode. Disable system restore before you do it (you will lose your restore points)

Make sure to post your hijack this log as several have requested in this thread.

This guy got it fixed - mostly using hijackthis, and some safe mode action:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/spyware_removal-t11383.html

OK, last try, if you post a HJT log I can fix you up, if you don't, then I can't help you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back