I can't install Vista on my computer - It's only two years old !!

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
I went to try and install Vista last night. I went through the compatibility and found that neither my video and sound will work, therefore making it impossible for me to install it.

I don't understand why it is like this? I looked for updates of the drivers and I have the current ones. Two year old PC, and I can't install vista .. Sheesh, looks like I will be buying a new pc ..

It's a 2.8 Intel Pent 4 processor, 512 meg of sd ram, 40 gig hd, integrated sound and video.

You mean the setup actually told you that it won't install?

The compatibility tool told me that vista is not for my computer. It then had the issues of to why, at which point it told me to check M$ for update to the drivers. Well, I have the current ones. It didn't actually say it won't install, but, if the video is not going to work, how am I supposed to see what I am doing ???

There's no reason why it shouldn't work. You'll almost certainly not be able to enable Aero Glass, but Vista itself shouldn't have any problem running on your system with the basic UI. You might also want to upgrade to 1GB of RAM for better performance - 512MB is the bare minimum for Vista, just like 256MB was for XP.

My suggestion would be to create a new empty partition so that you can dual-boot between XP and Vista initially. That way, you can install Vista without blowing away your current XP setup, and you'll be able to find out if you're going to run into any hardware/driver issues.

There's no reason why it shouldn't work. You'll almost certainly not be able to enable Aero Glass, but Vista itself shouldn't have any problem running on your system with the basic UI. You might also want to upgrade to 1GB of RAM for better performance - 512MB is the bare minimum for Vista, just like 256MB was for XP.

My suggestion would be to create a new empty partition so that you can dual-boot between XP and Vista initially. That way, you can install Vista without blowing away your current XP setup, and you'll be able to find out if you're going to run into any hardware/driver issues.

I wont argue that 256 is realistically the minimum required for XP, but the actual minimum requirement is 64.

Thanx for the info all, I will try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I can always come back to xp :)

I'll let you know how it goes ...

it should run fine. i ran all the betas on a 1.6 athlon, had a bit more ram at 1gb, but it worked no problem.

Before you go buy another computer, Vista should work on your current system, albeit not with the best performance. If it was me, I would up the RAM to 1 gig, install a video card, and perhaps even a sound card. If your into gaming, you should have all this anyway.

I got almost the same config as you have
on laptop and desktop.
Installed it!
no problem at all!
but there will be some incompatibility with
the older softwares....

I couldn't get beta 2 to run on an athlon 64 x2 with 2gb of Ram. Down to the graphics drivers being messed up. :s

Where is this compatability check thinger?

Sry, been out of the loop the last few weeks.

Where is this compatability check thinger?

Sry, been out of the loop the last few weeks.

There is one built into the OS. You can also get more info below:
Code:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/appcompat/tools.mspx#EPB

Well, i know my computer will run it fine ;)

Hmm, I ran the upgrade advisor, this what it says:
Your computer can run Windows Vista
There are no known system issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows Vista

Hardware check came out ok, few software issues detected: Nero, ATI Catalyst, TweakUI.

My Rig Info:
Motherboard: Asus P4P800S-X
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.53GHz
Memory: 1024MB SDRAM
Hard Drive: WD 80 GB 8MB Buffer 7200RPM
Video Card: ATI RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB (AGP)
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 750s(T)/750Ms
Sound Card: SB Live! Value
Speakers/Headphones: Cambridge Soundworks 4+1 - Logitech Headset
Keyboard: Standard 104
Mouse: Logitech MX518
Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 2

Why is Vista reminding me of how it was when XP first came out ??

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back