I can't access "My Document"

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
My Pictures etc... they show up but can't access. Are they there because of some programs will require them? Also I did a lot of backups of my reg so I can merge them into vista. Now that there isn't a My Document I'm assuming this will cause some problems.

Did you check folder/file permissions and who has ownership of the folders/files?

That doesn't mean anything. You could be the administrator and not have access to folders/files, such as "System Volume Information". Did you CHECK the permissions and ownership of the folder you cannot access?

That doesn't mean anything. You could be the administrator and not have access to folders/files, such as "System Volume Information". Did you CHECK the permissions and ownership of the folder you cannot access?
Yes I did.. .

can you copy and paste these files? If so copy and paste them to a fat32 partition then move them back to ntfs. See if you then have permission to them.

can you copy and paste these files? If so copy and paste them to a fat32 partition then move them back to ntfs. See if you then have permission to them.

When I copy and paste my backup copy to lets say "My Pictures" to "My Pictures" in Vista.. VIsta places them in a folder "Pictures", not "My Pictures" but "Pictures" even though "My Pictures" is listed under "Documents".

Did you do an upgrade from XP? Or setup a dual boot with an existing XP install?

this is By Design

These are junction points to maintain compatibility with older and/or poorly written programs that reference hardcoded locations. By default, they have no read access on the junction points themselves but they do point back to the new locations in vista.

Last edited:
When I copy and paste my backup copy to lets say "My Pictures" to "My Pictures" in Vista.. VIsta places them in a folder "Pictures", not "My Pictures" but "Pictures" even though "My Pictures" is listed under "Documents".

the reason i say copy and paste them to fat32 is that the files will lose their permissions as fat32 does not support the security that ntfs partitions do. Do you have a spare harddrive, or even a usb drive you can format to fat32?

the reason i say copy and paste them to fat32 is that the files will lose their permissions as fat32 does not support the security that ntfs partitions do. Do you have a spare harddrive, or even a usb drive you can format to fat32?

Copy what files? he's trying to access the folders.. in this case, the "My Documents/My Pictures/etc" folders are not really folders (and not really shortcuts). They are Junctions which are similar to hard links in the UNix world. They are "pointers" in a sense to the new location that Vista stores files at. Copy a file to the "My Documents" folder in Vista and it really copies it out to the phyiscal location --> c:\users\<username>\Documents folder (note the absence of the "My" prefix)

You can't "Copy" the junction point since doing so would just copy the whole "documents" folder over the fat32 partitions and you would then lose permissions on all your files in that folder.

This is not a permissions issue since the junction points are by default set to deny read access. Please follow the link to the MS Support article I linked to in my post.

edit: You can also view this article for more info on Junctions and things to keep in mind for Junctions.

Last edited:
Did you do an upgrade from XP? Or setup a dual boot with an existing XP install?

this is By Design

These are junction points to maintain compatibility with older and/or poorly written programs that reference hardcoded locations. By default, they have no read access on the junction points themselves but they do point back to the new locations in vista.

No upgrade or dual boot. A fresh install of Vista.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back