I bet you can't solve this one

• Thread starter goldschlager101
  • Start date
G

goldschlager101

Hello gurus,

I installed Windows XP Home Edition SP2 three days ago and I'm pretty satisfied with it so far. (Don't knock me for taking so long to upgrade. I wasn't having any problems with 98 so I figured, what's the point? That was until Microsoft stopped supporting 98.)

I did a clean install. I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 98 and then installed XP.

Anyway, every time I shut down the computer a window pops up saying "End Program ei40MfDX..." There's a string of numbers and letters on the end of that but I know for sure that those are the first 8 letters and numbers.

So what is it? Adware, spyware, a virus or nothing to be concerned about?

Whatever it is, even if it's harmless, I'd like to stop getting this message every time I shut down. It's annoying.

Are you dual booting or did you upgrade from 98 to xp?

Hi ejn,

I upgraded from 98 to XP. I'm not dual-booting.

Hi ejn,

I upgraded from 98 to XP. I'm not dual-booting.

All you had to do was insert xp home disk, format and set up that way, you would have been asked to insert your win98 disk if xp home is an upgrade disk and away you go.

No need to install 98 then xp over the top.

Did you download all the xp enabled drivers for your hardware?

start the os, look to task manager, see if a rogram is running that might correspond to those letters

you really just have to figure out which program is hanging

you can close processes one at a time before you shut down to see which one caused the end process applet also

If you guys read his post a little more carefully, you could have seen he formatted his hard drive and then installed XP ;)

In regards to ei40MfDX, there were no hits on Google which doesn't really mean anything.

As Perris said, go into the Task Manager (easiest way is to right-click on the Task bar and pull it up - can also be done via CTRL + ALT + DEL menu) and look for the process running. This will only verify it's running however, and that doesn't appear to be what you want.

Click Start - Run - type in MSCONFIG and hit enter. The further most right tab is the "Startup" tab. If it's something that is having problems closing, it is also possibly loading with your machine. You can expand the columns to get a better view, or post your list here.

You could also post a hijackthis log, which should give more information (path, etc.) regarding the file.

There is a hack for XP which will automatically end "non-responsive" tasks (tasks that have to wait to be killed otherwise), but that won't really solve your problem of removing whatever pesky app/program this is :)

How do you install over an OS if the HD is formatted? OS -> Formatted HD -> New OS

No traces of what was there really.

Doesn't matter really, possible I mis-interpreted as well.

I did a clean install. I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows 98 and then installed XP.

I think you are mis-reading it...

AFTER his format, he RE-installed 98 and then installed XP HOWEVER, I interpret this to mean he is actually upgrading... even though he says installed XP....

Ah, I stand corrected. I did mis-read it, hehe oops :p

Maybe he only has an Upgrade CD? If someone wants to upgrade to XP, that is the cheapest option.

Home is Cheaper than Pro, and the Upgrade is cheaper than the full install.

Hello all,

Yes, I got the Upgrade version of XP instead of the Full version. I did this because: #1. I am eligible since I had Windows 98 SE. #2. It's half the cost of the Full version.

I reinstalled 98 and then XP because I wanted a clean install. Microsoft suggests that before installing XP you run a virus scan but I decided why not really insure there's nothing harmful by just reformatting and reinstalling 98.

I assume Lee is correct that I could have just reformatted and installed XP without reinstalling 98 but that's water under the bridge and doesn't really bother me. I had a lot of time this past weekend and knew my method would suffice.

Back to my problem:

kcnychief and perris, I've checked Task Manager and as you have guessed ei40MfDX isn't listed and it's not immediately apparent which process it's running under, if any. I am going to shut down the processes one by one as you have suggested and see what happens.

I have gone into msconfig and am quite certain ei40MfDX is not a part of Startup as I only have one box checked for Startup. (But thanks for informing me I can expand the columns. I wasn't aware of that and it is helpful.)

I've posted a hijackthis log on another message board and I'll post it here but I'm fairly certain there's nothing to be found in it.

(Incidentally, I have posed my question to two other message boards. All three have come up with different solutions. Let's see who solves it first.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:46:23 AM, on 8/2/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1154225977\ee\services\sscFirewallPlugin\ver1_205_1_1\aolavupd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\ANTIVI~1\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1154225977\ee\aolsoftware.exe
c:\program files\common files\aol\1154225977\ee\services\sscAntiSpywarePlugin\ver1_205_1_1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\waol.exe
C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\shellmon.exe
c:\program files\common files\aol\1154225977\ee\aolssc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\Programs\Hijackthis\hijackthis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\blank.htm
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sscRun] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1154225977\ee\services\sscFirewallPlugin\ver1_205_1_1\SSCRun.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar search - res://C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll/SEARCH.HTML
O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: AOL Toolbar - {4982D40A-C53B-4615-B15B-B5B5E98D167C} - C:\Program Files\AOL Toolbar\toolbar.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{DC94D72B-B144-4B6C-97D6-566F80015B09}: NameServer = 205.188.146.145
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLAcsd.exe
O23 - Service: AOL TopSpeed Monitor (AOL TopSpeedMonitor) - America Online, Inc - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\TopSpeed\2.0\aoltsmon.exe
O23 - Service: AOL Antivirus Update Service (aolavupd) - America Online - C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1154225977\ee\services\sscFirewallPlugin\ver1_205_1_1\aolavupd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\ANTIVI~1\mcshield.exe

Besides the fact you use AOL, everything looks fine to me :p

I don't see any traces of that file you mentioned in your original post - did you check MSCONFIG?

Hello gurus,

I installed Windows XP Home Edition SP2 three days ago and I'm pretty satisfied with it so far. (Don't knock me for taking so long to upgrade. I wasn't having any problems with 98 so I figured, what's the point? That was until Microsoft stopped supporting 98.)

Anyway, every time I shut down the computer a window pops up saying "End Program ei40MfDX..." There's a string of numbers and letters on the end of that but I know for sure that those are the first 8 letters and numbers.

So what is it? Adware, spyware, a virus or nothing to be concerned about?

Whatever it is, even if it's harmless, I'd like to stop getting this message every time I shut down. It's annoying.

Get a screenshot and get the rest of the message , leaving out bits and pieces hinders the process.

if he ends processes one at a time before he shuts down he will find out what's hanging

he needs to do it through taskmanager, not msconfig

before he does it, he needs to search every process and eliminate the ones that are least likely to be the hanging app so he can make his effort a little less tiresome

With upwards of 40 lets say he would need to end one and reboot , and then repeat 40 times? I think we need to get the full string, then there is also the event viewer , I would say go in there and look at the viewers logs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/

Why not go into "Control Panel", "Administrative Tools" and then "Event Viewer". Look under "Applications" and see if there is an "event" that coresponds to this proggy that is hangin when XP shuts down. You should get an "Error" "Warning" or maybe an "Information" listing. Right click on the one that could be the problem proggy and then click "Properties" to see what it is (you can also double click an entry and get same result). Couldn't hurt. :)

Attachments

• event_viewer1.jpg
    event_viewer1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 93
  • event_viewer2.jpg
    event_viewer2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Yes thats what I just said lol

ps: Can I get a bottle of those pills please?

Yeah realized that after I posted. :s

Heh heh, Damn, just ran out of all my free samples. :p

I'll see if the warehouse has more. :D

With upwards of 40 lets say he would need to end one and reboot , and then repeat 40 times? I think we need to get the full string, then there is also the event viewer , I would say go in there and look at the viewers logs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/
You never listened in math or search algorithm programming did you?

A faster search method is to shutdown half then reboot. If it doesn't fix it shutdown the other half. If that fixes it shut down half of the ones in that group, and so on until isolated. Takes 5-10 shutdowns verses 40 to converge on the culprit.

Or save yourself the time abd follow my recommendation - Reformat and reinstall again. This time don't put 98 in first just insert the CD when home asks for it. Upgrading an OS could easily have caused corruption resulting in the shutdown issue. Once the OS is in reboot 2 times and see if the problem is there. If it is not then proceed to install all your other programs and watch if the problem recurs. A pain, but reliable and probably fastewr in the long run.

There are even faster algorithms but finding them would require cracking a text book and I'm too old for that.

Last edited:
Oh wow what a great Idea man I wish I thought about that ... ok now back to the event viewer guess you never figured that was even in windows did you ...ps format and reinstall yes great trouble shooting there thats for sure . Never seen an upgrade do anything close to this and neither has google ... so before the great format reinstall option lets look at the event viewer thats the reason it is there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back