I am such an idiot...come in and laugh at my stupidity...

• Thread starter Masaki Ando
  • Start date
M

Masaki Ando

On thursday night, I removed my Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu+ so I can sell it because of its stupid noise. On friday morning, I was in a hurry to get out, so I just placed the fan back on the CPU without securing the fan onto the socket. Then, voila, my CPU fried in less than a second. Then I had to buy a $130 AMD XP 1700 in a stupid retail package....

Please laugh at me for my stupidity.:eek:

But I have few questions... I have a Volcano 5 now, and i accidentally scratched out a little bit of the thermal compound on the bottom of that fan with my fingernail (because i didn't know what it was) Is my processor going to be damaged because of that? Also, the Volcano 5 runs almost silent at first, then it got quite loud (not as loud as V6 Cu+) after the temperature went up to 50deg celcius... why is that?

And, is the fan that comes with the AMD retail CPU any good? (in the noise aspect)

Also, after I boot iinto Windows, anything in the taskbar (include the start button) becomes unresponsive for quite a while but everything else in the Desktop area work fine...anyone knows why?

I have:

AMD XP 1700+
Thermaltake Volcano 5
ASUS A7V266-E
WD ATA100 40GB HDD
WINXP Pro
MSI GF3 Ti200
3COM 3C905B-TX (actual marketing product name unknown)
256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM

that thermal compound on the bottom of the volcano 5 should work okay... but i'd invest in some arctic silver 3 thermal compound. it conducts heat a lot better than that stuff stuck to the bottom of your heatsink. noiseless, too! }:>

and the volcano 5 gets louder because it detects your temperatures getting higher and spins the fan faster to cool it down. 50° C is kinda hot.

the slightest mark on your paste is going to cause a heat build up. I found the best way to fit the heat sink is to take the mobo out of the box & put it on a flat surface. I also made the same mistake as you but not only fried my athlon 1.4 but melted my brand new raid mobo as well....... Now I only use pentium chips if I do that again the mobo will turn its self off........Saving myself from my own inevitble & ongoing stupidity..:rolleyes: :p :p

50 degrees despite what everyone says is not hot.

60+ degrees is when you need to invest in a new fan.

Thermal Paste that comes with any heatsink is crap =P

Go buy some Arctic Silver just for the plain fact that it is a far superior heat conductor.

If you want performance sans the noise go get a 80mm HSF. Volcano 7 is one of those. Due to its larger size, it spins at a lower speed thus causing less noise while pushing decent air.

As for the taskbar issue, a clean install heheheheheheh =P

As i found out last week 50 deg can be hot or not depending on were that reading is coming from.

My old epox mobo with a temp diode under the chip read my CPU temp as 38-42 deg C.

This new Epox 8k3a+ board reads the CPU temp from the chips internal diode, a true temp if you will. Now i run at 46-52 deg C from no load to 100% load.

AMD state 48-58 as the optimal operating temp so im well chuffed with me coolermaster copper block thingymajiggy (yeh i can't spell as i got out me tree waitin up all night to see Lenox whoop Tyson's ass ;))

That was a silly thing to do, but dont worry im sure lots of ppl have done similar things.

the thermal compound i was referring to is the one that came "pasted" the the CPU...V5 itself didn't came with anything else that has a little package with silicon gel in it...you know, like the generic AMD fan that came with the retail box

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back