i am seriously considering.......

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
going back to xp :( , over the last few days vista has started to become a right royal pain in the ass, system mem it up near 3gb right after boot, apps are slow to open. I have checked for viruses and stuff like that its all clean

Re: i am seriously concidering.......

Aw that's a shame, my Vista's still running okay on 1GB of memory.

i have killed near everything and mem is still sitting near 3gb after 2 days, and there was me thinking it was supposed to release memory when its not being cached by anything, 3gb out of 4gb in use all the time is a bit much

Perhaps a reinstall would help - how long since you reformatted your PC? I recently reformatted and installed Vista x64 SP1 integrated - it's running brilliantly now.

i installed vista x64 sp1 about a 2 months ago

(Operating system) Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate (SP1), version 6.0.6001 (51 processes running, 1.72GB free RAM, installed 7w 4d 1h 32m 59s ago

thats after a reboot

Vista uses all available ram to cache frequently used data and ram. This is normal. This is how linux/bsd work as well.

Applications that request ram will be assigned cache ram as needed :)

edit: Just to keep you happy, my 6GB Vista 64bit system is reporting 0 free physical ram but stuff is humming along nicely :)

well its not here, programs are slow as hell to open, adobe photoshop starts to open the n disappears, wonder if its because of perfect disk its being a tit, i did install that the other day and defrag the drive as it was in a state, before that i had diskeeper but it ran out :(

" Ah, Vista vs. XP. It's like mature vs younger women. The young'uns are pretty, but the grown-ups are better in bed."

:D

*hugs Vista*

I'll never go back, actually doing a clean install this week when my new RAM comes in. I'll be doing 8GB, running Vista as the Host and Server 2008 as an FTP through IIS virtually - perhaps tinker with some other applications as well in there.

Oh by the way, it's considering with an S :lick:

Oh by the way, it's considering with an S :lick:
your a.n.a.l :p

anyway im not the only one having this issue seems a few other people are, on different spec machines and on laptops, possibly a windows update maybe

your is just as correct - and its nice to see people actually trying to help, instead of picking fault with someone's spelling or grammar

I hope I don't have this issue when I install Vista. I also will have 4GB but should be upgrading quickly to 6GB.

I'm with you on going back to XP, Carpo. I do like Vista's security and eye candy, but think it's a bit bloated.

Carpo, go to your start menu, in the search field type msconfig and then when the app opens, go to the STARTUP tab.

There, you should be able to see all the start processes. See what it is that is that is usurping your memory.

Or, better still, post a screenshot so we can help you identify whats going on.

Also, post a hijackthis! log using the CODE tags and we can go through and help you out.

:)

p.s.

Post hardware specs, for the heck of it.

If you happen to be on IRC later tonight, I'll hit you up.

your is just as correct - and its nice to see people actually trying to help, instead of picking fault with someone's spelling or grammar

Sorry mate, I was just kidding around. :)

I don't know, you try to lighten the mood and what do you get? :alien:

Carpo, go to your start menu, in the search field type msconfig and then when the app opens, go to the STARTUP tab.

There, you should be able to see all the start processes. See what it is that is that is usurping your memory.

Or, better still, post a screenshot so we can help you identify whats going on.

Also, post a hijackthis! log using the CODE tags and we can go through and help you out.

:)

p.s.

Post hardware specs, for the heck of it.

If you happen to be on IRC later tonight, I'll hit you up.

i have done all that - all is clean next to nothing is starting when vista does, its just slow and a royal pian in the ass, or was, back on xp already, and i cant believe how fast this box is using xp, atm going a full system scan using eset and defraging and using sub 400meg, one of the svhost.exe processes was using more than that on vista, as well as explorer using near 200meg and dwm using 200meg. Vista was nice for a while but its no longer looking that way for me.

The real test will be when i try to use bridge and photoshop, and megui to do an encode.

I would have thought that a lowly q6600 and 4gb of ram would have been enough for vista, guess i was wrong, either that or the honymoon period is over and im having the issues others have reported, sorry, was having

(yes there are a lot of spelling mistakes, i havent got the spell checker in yet) :p

I'm on a q6600 with 6gb of ram. The only thing this didn't like was moving from london to scotland, but stuck in an LDV Convoy I didn't either....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back