I am now HAM Radio Licensed in the US

X-Istence

Political Access
This morning I went and took the test for the FCC regulation amateur radio license. I am now licensed at the technician class out of the three classes that are available:

Technician
General
Extra

I did try to take the test for the General license, however I did not make it to that level of licensing. I am really happy I have my HAM radio license. It will certainly make it easier when I am working on my near space class and setting up equipment to track the balloon and to communicate with other team members as we chase it.

congrats x! always thought about doing this but never got around to studying for it.

So what does being HAM Radio Licensed mean? How would it affect this balloon tracking? (Just curious)

So what does being HAM Radio Licensed mean? How would it affect this balloon tracking? (Just curious)

It means I am allowed to transmit on the 2 meter, 6 meter and 70 cm bands that are set aside for amateur radio. For balloon tracking this is useful since the data we are going to be transmitting from the balloon will be transmit in the 2 meter band, containing APRS data, we need to co-ordinate with other HAMs out there to make sure we are not on a frequency they are using, and whether or not we are allowed to use their repeaters.

We also want to communicate with them in case we need fox hunting skills and in case they have found the balloon after it comes back down.

congrats x! always thought about doing this but never got around to studying for it.

http://www.eham.net/exams/

Take the technician test a few times, and just remember the questions and the answers. I did about 6 tests the morning of, and on the way to the testing location in the car, and I passed missing only one question out of 35, which is awesome.

Most of the FCC regulations are common sense, so go with what makes the most sense as an answer!

I always knew you were a "Ham". :p

J/K

Congrats X-Istence.

Mmm, ham and cheese.

Congratulations JW. Does this mean OSNN is going to have its own station and I'll get my own show?

This morning I went and took the test for the FCC regulation amateur radio license. I am now licensed at the technician class out of the three classes that are available:

Technician
General
Extra

I did try to take the test for the General license, however I did not make it to that level of licensing. I am really happy I have my HAM radio license. It will certainly make it easier when I am working on my near space class and setting up equipment to track the balloon and to communicate with other team members as we chase it.

Yay well done you, my hubby is an amateur radio fanatic and has a ham radio license too. I think I've posted pics of his gear before?? ..................73's for now :laugh:

I don't think I have seen pictures of his gear. I have a fairly simple hand held radio. The Yaesu VX-6R.

Why would anyone make a radio made from ham?

That just sounds like a load of baloney :smoker:

Aaaaa, just another day in the Deli line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back