i am having huge router issues...please help! :-(

michaeladams

OSNN Newbie
i have a microsoft mn-100 router. ive owned it for a year, and never had problem 1 with it, UNTIL last weekend. i installed the sp2, and all of a sudden, i get a "limited or no connectivity" error, and i cant get on the internet when i have my cpu, and xbox, or either alone, to the router. i cant access the base station manager, when i go to reinstall, the install prog says that there is more than one "microsoft networking product" (router) connected to the network, even though there isnt any list of "products" connected,EVEN when the router isnt physically hooked up to the computer,and when i run the install prog to "set up a base station, it wont detect the router. i cant install the firmware because i get a "runtime asked to close the program in a unusual way" error, none of the system restores wont fully go through, and im about to pull my hair out. ive uninstalled norton, ive reinstalled and uninstalled the router software about 30 times, im about at my wits end with this thing, and i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaallly would appreciate some suggestions, help, etc. thanks a mil guys.

Right off the bat I believe some of your problem is due to the "Security Center" installed w/SP2...moreso the software firewall that gets enabled. Go to the properties section of your network connection and uncheck the internet connection firewall box and see if that helps. I am assuming that the norton product you re-installed is the internet security package? I think there is/was an issue with that and SP2. Check the symantec site, maybe.

ok, i went and unchecked turned off the sp2 firewall, and that was also a no go. same with the symantec site. right now, when i open up the bnu, its saying that:

next to a pic of the router, its saying: Workgroup MSHOME you are connected to your network. (the router is NOT connected to my computer right now)

its also saying that my gateway, and my ip address are the same. (does that mean anything?)

and, its also saying that im connected to the internet, which is about the only thing that it is right about.

any ideas? im absolutely lost......UGH.

Router Problems

My router occasionally acts up on me "about every 2 or 3 months" and simply unplugging it's power cable for a few minutes, then returning power to it, usually fixes the problem. As for SP2, it in itself never caused the first problem with my router, or anyone I personally know's routers. There is always that possibility of an unrelated power spike that damaged your router, so I would seriously consider resetting it first, then I would locate a friend with broadband and see if they would let me test my router on their network. Another point I would like to bring up is that the default gateway on a network behind a router should be the IP address of the router itself and not an individual computer.

CipheR

would that cause my router to register when it is NOT connected, and not register when it IS connected?

Is there anyway to perhaps just login to the router via http or something instead of having to install software on your machine? I'm not familiar w/ Microsoft routers but have never seen a router you had to install software on your comp to get it up and running. A disc came with the linksys I had and it was useless .. just logging in via http was the much better way.

yeah, i tried that.....there is a pause, and then a "could not connect" error. this thing is really pissing me off, im about to reinstall windows and see if that will work.

michaeladams said:
yeah, i tried that.....there is a pause, and then a "could not connect" error. this thing is really pissing me off, im about to reinstall windows and see if that will work.
I don't think reinstalling windows will have any effect on your router. I would look thru the troubleshooting for it.

Xie said:
I don't think reinstalling windows will have any effect on your router. I would look thru the troubleshooting for it.
Agreed(unless the tcp stack is baked). Does the router assign the pc's ip? If so, did you try to release/renew it? I've had a few HP machines flake out and not connect to work routers until I removed/reinstalled the network adapter. Also, when connecting via http...some models you have to use "https", and some you have to supply a port...i.e."192.168.0.1:88". Just trying to cover all bases here, forgive me if I'm covering stuff you already tried.

Yes sounds like a possible router memory "scramble"
Disconnect/unplug for few minutes or reset and reboot.
Have heard of 2 other people with connection problems after SP2 installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back