i am gonna patent this

trainmaster77

OSNN Senior Addict
Political Access
im gonna create a video card ... with a socket to interchange gpu's and ram much like you do on today's motherboards.

i just cant figure out why the hell no one has done this before ..seems like it would be simple enough.

could you imagine all the happy people ... it would be much greener... provide much longer longevity ... way more practical for people ... and the greatest aspect would be its ability to adapt.

for instance ... 8800gtx is what ...600ish? 8800gts is 400ish .... and 300ish with 320mb of ram?

well why couldnt you just have the board ... because you purchased the 7950 gpu 5 months ago .... along with 1 gig of onboard ram.... sell the actual gpu and replace it with the 8800 version? you could save craploads of cash keeping the ram and potentially save landfil space ... gold on the connections ..lead ...ect.

someone want to invest with me on designing it ..as well as filing patent?

i'm not very knowledgable on the subject, but does having that much video ram actually increase performance? i would have thought 256, at most 512 would be more than enough for any game.

im gonna create a video card ... with a socket to interchange gpu's and ram much like you do on today's motherboards.

i just cant figure out why the hell no one has done this before ..seems like it would be simple enough.

could you imagine all the happy people ... it would be much greener... provide much longer longevity ... way more practical for people ... and the greatest aspect would be its ability to adapt.

for instance ... 8800gtx is what ...600ish? 8800gts is 400ish .... and 300ish with 320mb of ram?

well why couldnt you just have the board ... because you purchased the 7950 gpu 5 months ago .... along with 1 gig of onboard ram.... sell the actual gpu and replace it with the 8800 version? you could save craploads of cash keeping the ram and potentially save landfil space ... gold on the connections ..lead ...ect.

someone want to invest with me on designing it ..as well as filing patent?

then they couldnt get your money when you buy a new card :) And most people dont know how to change a cpu and ram.

Last edited:
The answer is:

Connectors $2
Packaging $2
HSF $25
Support chips (including video bios) $5
PCB $5
Labor $5
GPU $100
Ram $150
Profit $200

Make the parts interchangeable and you loose the $200 profit for each upgrade. All of the cost is in the RAM and GPU so savings outside of profits are minimal to the customer. (I will burn in environmentalist hell for saying that.)

Video cards used to have socketed memory way back when. You could never find the ram, it was grossly overpriced and card speed went up so fast memory upgrading was not worth it.

I just wish they'd make a MB you could just drop new RAM and CPU into every year. Disagree?

(Socket A, 754, 939, 940, FX, AM2 the new one on the 2008 road map, name unknown yet. SIMMs, DIMMS, RAMBUS, DDR, DDR2, DDR3, etc. Then PCI Video, AGP, 2x, 4x/8x, PCI-e, AGP Pro, etc.) An that's just for AMD systems.

And lest we forget - AT, ATX, Micro ATX, Mini ATX, Shuttle, etc.

The thing I really hate on the forums here is when a bright eyed newb asks how to upgrade their 3 year old system. I want to cry knowing I have to tell them all they can keep is the keyboard and mouse. (And then only if the kybd and mouse are USB compatible) :(

Last edited:
Video cards used to have socketed memory way back when. You could never find the ram, it was grossly overpriced and card speed went up so fast memory upgrading was not worth it.

you jogged my memory. i remember those :)

Socket A, 754, 939, 940, FX, AM2 the new one on the 2008 road map, name unknown yet

wtf, a new one so soon? why? i don't get the reason for AM2 anyway, all benches i saw showed no increase in performance?

you jogged my memory. i remember those :)

wtf, a new one so soon? why? i don't get the reason for AM2 anyway, all benches i saw showed no increase in performance?
I thought AM2 made the processors cheaper, since the cost to make the processors was cheaper for amd.

from what i've heard there is supposed to be AM2+, which has support for a newer HyperTransport bus, and would be used for the Quad-core and higher end X2's.

and trainmaster..... i believe i remember seeing something like that before.... a prototype video card with a swappable GPU. the problem is i don't think it ever made it passed the prototype phase. Think one reason why it never came to be was due to the fact that figuring out a way to put a GPU cooler on it, without risking damaging the GPU or card itself, was quite difficult. plus it probably would have taken up almost as much room with a single-slot sized cooler as our double-slot coolers now do.

well we can make a missle hit a dime on the other side of the world ... sure seems like it would be possible. there are basically 2 brands of video cards ... ati / nvidia. Each brand could have thier own sets of sockets ... but could use the exact ram which fits in a mobo. it wouldnt be that difficult i dont think.

hell the basic difference in video card versions is sometimes only say from an fx53 to an fx 60 ... if even that. it could be done.

you could put the ram brackets on the side of the card ... ill call it the top because its the side that is on the opposite end of where it plugs into the mobo. As fat as these cards are now ..there would be no problem fitting 2 sticks next to each other. as far as cooling ... im sure they could engineer a nearly fix all with different brackets ... having some set standard to start at would be the easiest approach.

but back to the first reply ...i think it is profits ... is what drives this.

even if it extended the life of your vid card from 8 months to 16 months it would almost pay for itself it seems.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back