I am getting a new

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
N2 Mobo. I am currently running a VIA Chipset. Will the 4 in 1 drivers I installed affect my performance? SHould I reformat? ( dont really want to)

with any mobo upgrade it is always recommended to reformat.......tho not set in stone, it will save future headaches......

At the very least your going to have to do a repair install, if you dont when you put in that new MOBO and boot windows WILL give you a BSOD. but a format/clean install would probably be best.

if you want guaranteed performance and stability with your brand new nforce2 board, ALWAYS reformat. if you try to take the lazy way about it, speed will likely be affected and you'll encounter problems.

Originally posted by taurus
if you want guaranteed performance and stability with your brand new nforce2 board, ALWAYS reformat. if you try to take the lazy way about it, speed will likely be affected and you'll encounter problems.

I agree. I went from an AMD chipset to a Via chipset without reformatting at first and did have a negative impact on performance, even after installing the proper (non Windows) drivers. I was expecting a BSOD but Windows just installed the drivers it needed to work. I didn't use the system long enough this way to see if I would experience other problems, I just wanted to see if it would work.

When I reformatted and reinstalled Windows, performance improved. Although, you might not ever notice if you just use office apps, email, and such.

Why are you going VIA? I'm using an nForce2 (Asus A7N8X Deluxe) and it's amazing board.

Every review and benchmark I've seen shows the nForce2 boards rate higher in performance by at least 5-10%, sometimes even more.

Originally posted by deadzombie
Why are you going VIA? I'm using an nForce2 (Asus A7N8X Deluxe) and it's amazing board.

Every review and benchmark I've seen shows the nForce2 boards rate higher in performance by at least 5-10%, sometimes even more.

I am not I am going to NF2 board

i upgraded my motherboard while using Windows XP Pro and windows wouldn't even boot, I just got a startup error. I had to reformat and loose some files. I didnt really think bout trying to back them before.

Originally posted by Sinster
I am not I am going to NF2 board

Sorry, I reread the post, and suddenly it made sense. Im still having problems with my English after 30+ years...sorry.:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back