I agreed to WHAT?

Taggert_LOA

Modding Addict
Political Access
EULA Blues (or "I agreed to WHAT?")

What if someone with whom you wanted to do business asked you to pay for the product or service first, before you would be allowed to read the contract stating the terms of the business transaction? That's exactly what software vendors demand every time you buy a shrink-wrapped boxed operating system or application. The End User License Agreement (EULA) is inside that box, or sometimes only in digital form on the disk so that you can't know what you're agreeing to until after you've already plunked down your hard-earned money.

Even after you get it home and open up the box, how many of you actually read the EULA? Many folks, anxious to get on with the installation, just click "I agree" without even scanning through all that fine print. After all, you've already paid for it - what are you going to do if you don't like what the EULA says? Take it back? That's what the EULA says you should do if you don't agree with its terms, but many software retailers have policies against accepting returns for opened software. Of course, they have a good reason: otherwise unscrupulous folks could buy a program, take it home and make a copy of it and then return it for a full refund. Still, this policy discourages users from exercising their right to reject the EULA.

Which brings us to an interesting point: in many jurisdictions, a contract signed under duress is not considered binding. Is your agreement really voluntary under these circumstances?

In the past, courts have made some interesting rulings on EULAs. For example, in a landmark case back in November 2001, Softman v. Adobe, a district court ruled that consumers could resell software programs they hadn't installed (i.e., software that comes "bundled" with hardware) even if the EULA prohibits it. Because the EULA was presented during installation, the reseller had never accepted it and therefore was not bound by it.

However, under the laws of most jurisdictions, if you do click that "I agree" button, you're bound by the terms of the EULA. And some of those terms can be onerous indeed. Most vendors' EULAs disclaim any responsibility for any damage caused by their software, but others go much further: for instance, requiring that you agree to allow the software vendor to access information on your computer.

Many feel that the current methods of licensing software should be overhauled completely. Others caution that because of its digital nature, software cannot be treated like other intellectual property (books, music, art). What do you think? Is there a better way to sell software rights than via the EULA? Tell me what you think.

Wow, nice rant :)

The only thing i have to say is sometimes not only does the EULA come inside the box so you ca't see it untill you've bought it but sometimes it says on a label on the shrink wrap "by opening this package you aggree to the terms of the EULA" (or words to that effect) but then says the EULA is inside the box! so to read the EULA you have to agree to it first!! you can't win

Khayman said:
Sometimes it says on a label on the shrink wrap "by opening this package you aggree to the terms of the EULA" (or words to that effect) but then says the EULA is inside the box! so to read the EULA you have to agree to it first!! you can't win

Good point!

Also if you do open that box to see the EULA and don't agree you can't simple return the product to many stores these days and must go thru the process of sending it back to the manufacture for refund, minus the money you paid for tax and shipping of course!

Xie listen you need to start a campaign. Well when I had severe ear infection last month I got through heaps of asprin and other painkillers. When I bought the product I checked the back of box and even opened the box and read the leaflet contained, to see if I was able to take the particualr product (which I was).

Now software should have the EULA on the box in black n white, or the store should provide a leaflet with it printed so it saves you buying it. Saves them making you a refund.

If I buy software and I don't agree with the EULA I want my £50 back, I want the whole £50 I already paid v.a.t. and taxes for earning the money to buy it and travel expenses to get it, so I want my whole £50. My contract is with the retailer so insist you get the whole darn lot back.

So the campaign should be for before you buy it you can see the EULA before hand.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back