I accidently installed XP twice on my PC. It malfunctioned & said I had to reformat.

V

veronica

It said do I want to put it on the same partition or do a new install [I think].

I picked the new install. It said not to put 2 OS on the same PC. I didn't see

any other option at the time. How can I undo it??

I can't get back my old software or files or data. I believe it's still on my hard

drive because it says I have only 17 GB left out of 40 GB. Please help.

Thanks.

The old files will still be there, just under the documents and settings directory on your old system.
Providing you aren't using the NTFS file system. You should be able to navigate to the files directly.
Do you see extra drive icon to that you had previously?
This will be the old XP install. It's almost certainly on it's own partition now.
Say for arguments sake the old XP install is on drive g:.
Navigate to g:\ in explorer. Then find g:\documents& settings\(yourusername)\My Documents.
Or wherever else you stored them, providing they weren't on the partition that now houses XP, in which case if you formatted before install, they will be lost. Otherwise, documents will remain where you left them.
Unforunately all your programs will need reinstallation. This is because unlike documents, applications embed themselves in the registry upon install,
and need to reference those keys to run.

Veronica-

The only way Windows would install itself twice would be if you told it to install in a directory other than C:\WINDOWS. I've done just like you did -- booted from a Windows CD (with Windows already on the computer), may it be a fresh install or repair and it tells me the same, don't put 2 OSs on the same partition. But if you left it at C:\WINDOWS, it will just overwrite that directory. Your programs etc. will still be there as they are in other directories on the drive. But like Erb said, some programs will need to be reinstalled and anything in My Documents will be lost since that's apart of the installation, but everything else (data, music, games, whatever you had) should be there.

MY RESPONSE IN BOLD TYPE:

Erbmaster said:
The old files will still be there, just under the documents and settings directory on your old system.
[I CAN'T GET TO THE OLD SYSTEM. IT OFTEN SAYS I DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO CERTAIN FILES.

Providing you aren't using the NTFS file system. You should be able to navigate to the files directly.
Do you see extra drive icon to that you had previously?
[I DON'T SEE AN EXTRA DRIVE ICON. WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?? WHERE DO I FIND IT??]

This will be the old XP install. It's almost certainly on it's own partition now.
Say for arguments sake the old XP install is on drive g:.
Navigate to g:\ in explorer. Then find g:\documents& settings\(yourusername)\My Documents.
Or wherever else you stored them, providing they weren't on the partition that now houses XP, in which case if you formatted before install, they will be lost. Otherwise, documents will remain where you left them.
Unforunately all your programs will need reinstallation. This is because unlike documents, applications embed themselves in the registry upon install,
and need to reference those keys to run.

MY RESPONSE IN CAPS IN THE QUOTE:

devynal said:
Veronica-
The only way Windows would install itself twice would be if you told it to install in a directory other than C:\WINDOWS. I've done just like you did -- booted from a Windows CD (with Windows already on the computer), may it be a fresh install or repair and it tells me the same, don't put 2 OSs on the same partition. But if you left it at C:\WINDOWS,
[IT SAID DO YOU WANT TO PUT IT ON THE SAME PARTITION OR ANOTHER PARTITION OR SOMETHING ELSE. I PICKED SOMETHING ELSE.

it will just overwrite that directory. Your programs etc. will still be there as they are in other directories on the drive. But like Erb said, some programs will need to be reinstalled and anything in My Documents will be lost since that's apart of the installation, but everything else (data, music, games, whatever you had) should be there.
[MY MUSIC, DATA, RELATIVES PICTURES WERE UNDER DOCUMENTS. IT MUST STILL BE THERE BECAUSE IT SAYS I HAVE 17 GB LEFT. I HAD 40 GB ORIGINALLY. IT MUST BE ON ANOTHER PARTITION. WHAT SHOULD I DO?? THANKS FOR THE REPLIES.]

If it's two partitions, you'll see both under My Computer. C will show up along with the other partition labeled D, E, etc. It will look like two hard drive icons.

Right re-read your original post again veronica. It seems you haven'e created a new partition for XP, you've just installed another setup alongside the 1st.
The new files are still accessible. For more info on that, read GoNz0's thread ohn the subject How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

That should sort you out ;)
Once you have the docs you want again. My advice would be to back them up to
removable media i.e CD-R, or another HDD/partition.
Then format your HDD again, and Install XP afresh. ;)

Good Luck.

Erbmaster said:
Right re-read your original post again veronica. It seems you haven'e created a new partition for XP, you've just installed another setup alongside the 1st.
The new files are still accessible. For more info on that, read GoNz0's thread ohn the subject How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

That should sort you out ;)
Once you have the docs you want again. My advice would be to back them up to
removable media i.e CD-R, or another HDD/partition.
Then format your HDD again, and Install XP afresh. ;)

Good Luck.
I can't even find the file or folder to change. I just keep

getting the 'MY DOCUMENTS' folder from the new OS. I already have the

security setting so the 'ADMINISTRATORS' have full control. Before that it

said my new 'username' had full control. Thanks for trying. Anyone else have

any ideas??

What is the difference between reformating and Installing XP afresh??

I installed XP a 2nd time. It didn't change anything.

I don't think there are 2 partitions on my hard drive.

What are the names of the folders in C:\Documents and Settings?

^^^What yoyo said.
Make sure you have "view hidden files/folders" turned on in the view options too. ;)

As far as a difference? between reformatting and installing XP afresh - they go hand in hand.
If you reformat a HDD, it overwrites the data.
Then you reinstall XP on the nice "blank" partition/drive with no clutter from the old OS still lurking. You'll also reclaim your lost disk space.
(Once you've retrieved your needed files, and backed them up of course ;))

yoyo said:
What are the names of the folders in C:\Documents and Settings?
Administrator
All Users
All users.Windows
Default User
Default User Windows
Local Service
LocalService.NTAuthority
Network Service
NetworkService.NT Authority
Owner
Owner.OOOO
OWNER~1~OOO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have 'show hidden folders' turned on.
Thanks.

Now look in the Owner, Owner.0000 and Owner~1~0000 folders for your documents. You may have to take ownership of the folders as suggested by Erbmaster. Most likely your documents are in the "Owner" folder, I think.

My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Settings/ Startup & recovery.
Delete second line from boot ini.
Go to C drive etc and look for possible second Windows file .....delete.
Reboot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back