huge pagefile usage xp pro

lynchknot

OSNN Senior Addict
Hello, I was performing a search for all GIFs on my PC with thumbnails. Well they would not show and my desktop almost froze up. I took a look at task manager and noticed this! It seems a little too close for comfort but I don't know much about this so i'm asking you. :)
I have no page file in C
I have virtual memory in drive D set at 1536-4000

I have 1023 of RAM

*edit - I restarted pc and it's the same. Is this normal? I don't remember seeing it that high before

page.JPG

apps.JPG

your pagefile should start at 1.5 times your amount of memory.

That's not my concern right now - PF usage is at 1.13 - 1.30 GBs! and is constant. It is much too high to be normal - as you can see from the screenshot, small apps are using 3-4 times the memory than normal.

You're running about 3 times the memory usage per common app's that I am with 512M of Ram and 512M fixed virtual memory on D:.

Wish I could tell you why but I never saw this much memory used before.

have you checked for virii and malware?

I ran adaware and found some data miners. I'm running Nav right now.

uninstall norton see what happens then

?????

I'm running NAV to see if there is a problem - I will disable NAV first then i'll uninstall if I need to - but i'm wondering what that has to do with so many apps using so much memory.

if it's not a virus you have to close your processes one at a time to see where the memory leak is

Thanks fellas - seems to be ok now. I'm curious if it was what adaware and spy sweeper found.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back