Hub or Switch??

B

bpimpdaddy21

I have a problem. My roomate is without an internet connection, and we are looking at a low cost fix that can hook the both of us up to the internet, and not lose any bandwith, cause I know with a network cable splitter it will split the bandwidth. I am not too familiar with a hub or a switch, but could someone help me out and let me know what I need to get here, Thanks!

U need a router, or do ICS one of the two depends on if u got dial up or cable/dsl

dial up do ICS

cabl/dsl do router

:cool:

i am on a network, T3 servers I believe, but could someone also explain the diff between a hub and a switch please.

a hub is dumb basically.. it sends everypacket to every physical port, and the comps that need it take it.... a switch is smart, it knows which comp requested which packet, thus it will only send it to that port, ... much more efficent, and more money too :S ... although both will work, a switch is better

I could be seriously wrong about this...

But i always thought that a Hub merely shared the available bandwidth (may it be 10mbps/100mbps) and during times of high use, the occurance of collision sky rockets...

Switch, each person has dedicated 10/100mbps bandwidth? Less collisions etc...

But generally, just get a switch. They are so cheap that its worth the extra $10....

I share my DSL modem with a hub. I haven't experienced a loss in bandwidth, I share the modem with 4 others. I just plugged the modem into the uplink port, and connected the computers into the other ports. infact I expended my 5 port hub, by connecting a 16 port hub (that had no uplink port) with some crossover cable.

hmmm, u have to have a router in there somewhere, cause a hub will not probably send data to the right machine, so if all 5 computers are hooked up to a hub and a uplink is going to the dsl modem this won't work. The hub as no idea on where to send the data, when u click a weblink, the returned webpage is routed to your computor, if it only passes through a hub it won't make it back to u. If you have 5 total computers and they are up and sending info at same time over the network the bandwith is shared between them, so most likely they are sending at only 20 mb (100/5). A switch on the other hand doesn't make each computer share the bandwith so each of them is going full blast at 100mb over the network.

Hope I cleared this up, get a switch, shot they are the same price anyway.

:cool:

umm, Iceman, it works, I am using it right now, the uplink port works great, even if all 4 PCs are using it all at the same time. I have been using it for 6 months now.

If this dont fry your brain I dont know what will:

In telecommunications, a switch is a network device that selects a path or circuit for sending a unit of data to its next destination. A switch may also include the function of the router, a device or program that can determine the route and specifically what adjacent network point the data should be sent to. In general, a switch is a simpler and faster mechanism than a router, which requires knowledge about the network and how to determine the route.

Relative to the layered Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) communication model, a switch is usually associated with layer 2, the Data-Link layer. However, some newer switches also perform the routing functions of layer 3, the Network layer. Layer 3 switches are also sometimes called IP switches.

On larger networks, the trip from one switch point to another in the network is called a hop. The time a switch takes to figure out where to forward a data unit is called its latency. The price paid for having the flexibility that switches provide in a network is this latency. Switches are found at the backbone and gateway levels of a network where one network connects with another and at the subnetwork level where data is being forwarded close to its destination or origin. The former are often known as core switches and the latter as desktop switches.

In the simplest networks, a switch is not required for messages that are sent and received within the network. For example, a local area network may be organized in a token ring or bus arrangement in which each possible destination inspects each message and reads any message with its address.

In general, a hub is the central part of a wheel where the spokes come together. The term is familiar to frequent fliers who travel through airport "hubs" to make connecting flights from one point to another. In data communications, a hub is a place of convergence where data arrives from one or more directions and is forwarded out in one or more other directions. A hub usually includes a switch of some kind. (And a product that is called a "switch" could usually be considered a hub as well.) The distinction seems to be that the hub is the place where data comes together and the switch is what determines how and where data is forwarded from the place where data comes together. Regarded in its switching aspects, a hub can also include a router.

1) In describing network topologies, a hub topology consists of a backbone (main circuit) to which a number of outgoing lines can be attached ("dropped"), each providing one or more connection port for device to attach to. For Internet users not connected to a local area network, this is the general topology used by your access provider. Other common network topologies are the bus network and the ring network. (Either of these could possibly feed into a hub network, using a bridge.)

2) As a network product, a hub may include a group of modem cards for dial-in users, a gateway card for connections to a local area network (for example, an Ethernet or a token ring), and a connection to a line (the main line in this example).

[SIZE=-2]Thread Moved to Networking, Internet & Intranet[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2](gonaads)[/SIZE]

just get a cheap 4 or 5-port 100mbps hub. it's plenty fast enough for sharing an internet connection (maybe around 1.5mbps). but if you and him are gonna send lots of big files back and forth or play games over lan, i'd get a switch. hubs cause collisions and will slow down everything under heavy usage.

with a hub, 1 computer needs to be on at all times because it is acting as the server

with a router, it wont matter if a computer is on or off

both will work fine for sharing your internet connection

Originally posted by dijital
with a hub, 1 computer needs to be on at all times because it is acting as the server
not true at all.

Originally posted by mbunny
why was it moved???

It suited hardware as well...

[SIZE=-2]Yes, but it's more related to Networking and the Internet. Bpimpdaddy21 is discussing and asking about his Internet Connection, Networking and Bandwidth Sharing.

He may (maybe) get more responses from the Members roaming around this Section.
[/SIZE]
:)

Originally posted by taurus
not true at all.
Yes true! Unless of course you happen to have a very friendly ISP that will give you more than one IP (>90% don't).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back