HTML tags with Mozilla

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
I'm still pretty new to Mozilla, when I'm posting news on the front page I often use {li} (replace {} with <> ). I've recently noticed the bullet doesn't show with Mozilla. Does anyone know why or if there is a similar HTML code I can use that will viewable using Mozilla, IE, Opera and any other brower?

Ok I found that here, posting news I can use the {list} tag along with {*}blah blah{/*}{/list} but I shouldn't have to, {li} should work

true, <li> should work.
I dont know how the news posting is handled, but the bullets probably dont show up because of Mozilla running in compliancy mode (due to a header sent by the page)

What format where you trying to make a list with?
it should be :

<ul>
<li>Item 1</li>
<li>Item 2</li>
<li>Item 3</li>
</ul>

Just <li> not ending tag as EP said I didn't need to

hmm, did you start and end the list with <ul> </ul> ?
Mozilla is very picky when it comes to code.

Originally posted by Jewelzz
Just <li> not ending tag as EP said I didn't need to
you do.

you can make a regular list using the <ul> tag, or a number list using the <ol> tag.

I only use <li>, that's all I've ever used and the bullet is visible in IE but not Mozilla.

ok, basically you dont need to close the tag for a browser to render it as a list.
BUT because NTFS.org is classed as an XHTML document, the browser will read it that way, and the XHTML specification requires that all tags are closed.

Mozilla, being a compliant browser, when told that a page is compliant, will render it in a compliant way, if the code isn't ACTUALLY compliant (ie: no </li>) then Mozilla will have a wibble :p
IE doesn't care either way, but we all know that IE is sh!t

IE is less strict.

if you want to get the list in mozilla youl have to do it this way:

<ul> (or <ol>)
<li> Benny </li>
<li> Jewelzz </li>
<li> Dave </li>
</ul> (or </ol>)

<ul> will make a regular list,
and <ol> will make a number list ( 1. Benny 2. Jewelzz 3. Dave )

Apparently Mozilla is sh!t too lol, sorry SPeedY_B. I just updated the AVG post in downloads on the front page, added </li> and the bullets still didn't show.

I used Benny's way <ul> <li> list</li> </ul> and there was a space in between each listing, which I don't want. I modified it and didn't use the ending </li> and it seems to give me what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help guys :)

your entitled to your opinion :) And as long as you have everything working, good.

Basically the problem here lies in the fact that the page claims to be compliant, yet it blatantly isn't (VirtuaNews' fault) if we removed the DOCTYPE tag from the header, the page would render fine in mozilla (including that graphics glitch on the top by the menu), and we would not be making a false claim.

Or commenting it out would do for now.
<!-- tag -->

It is quite annoying that VirtuaNews provide (at cost) something that claims to be compliant, yet isn't at all. If they'd simply leave out, or comment out (leave an indication of what type of code is aimed for) then these small rendering problems wouldn't arise.
At present the page claims to be XHTML 1.0 Trans, but actually gives 541 errors when checked for compliancy.

Thats the point though, the entire code of NTFS is actually VirtuaNews and vBulliten, obviously news and forum posts add to the code.
All I'm saying is that commenting out the DOCTYPE, giving the end-user the option to re-enable it, would be a good idea, as compliant browsers can then compensate for code that doesn't follow the specified document type.

Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
May Jewelzz can tell them to remove the doctype till they fix the site.

SPeedY_B has brought this up to EP before and I'm sure there was some reason for it not being fixed :shrug:

I think its because its only waddy that has actual access to the template files.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back