HTML Editor Recommendation

Friend of Bill

What, me worry?
I'm looking for an HTML Editor and would welcome any recommendations. My price range is up to $100.00 (USD). Must be stable, reliable and not require a PhD. in HTML editing.

Ehm, notepad?

I think you mean that you're after a web/html authoring application, rather than an editor. I doubt you'll have to pay for one, there must be some free one's out there, an example would be Mozilla's Composer application (not sure if it's available stand-alone yet though.)

Ok, I'll check it out. These are the applications that I'm considering:

AceHTML Pro
HTML Kit
Coffeecup HTML

Don't use an authoring program like Dreamweaver or Frontpage. Well it depends on what your doing but I can tell you first hand as a programmer when I get code from my designers I ****ing want to kill them if they used those applications lol well not kill but you know what I mean. The only real way to make quality web sites is to learn HTML and it takes an hour so don't be another lazy newb when it comes to making sites. Don't be lazy.

I recommend Edit Plus which isn't really worked on a lot anymore but it was some awesome syntax highlighting and auto complete with it. Great for HTML if you know it. You can also create custom syntax for any language or download other's on their website.

I use EditPlus to do my html, php, java, sql and some others, the syntax highlighting is nice although the auto complete thing is annoying, turned that of. Also it has one of the best spell checkers ever! :)

Dreamweaver MX is awesome, nice, and makes standards compliant XHTML/HTML. It should be on your list.

MMM standards HTML and XHTML? Are you sure. I've definitely heard different but maybe I'm wrong. I avoid Dreamweaver :p

Dreamweaver looks nice but too expensive for me. I've been testing NoteTab Pro and so far I like.

Both Dreamweaver MX and GoLive CS do XHTML compliant coding, though from using a friends GoLive for about an hour trying to fix some layout stuff it has a horrible gui design interface, Dreamweaver MX is better, but then I was originally taught DW way back in its v2 days. Now I use stuff like Maguma and text editors like SciTE and Kate

I think you need to be a little more specific in your request. You don't want to spend money to get a quality WYSIWYG tool like DreamweaverMX (the best wysiwyg availible). You also don't want to require a "Ph.D in HTML;" I'm not even sure that you need an Assc. to be competant in HTML.

Also, since it appears you are starting out, I'd suggest learning XHTML; its almost identical, but yields better coding practice for learners.

I think you should bite the bullet, learn the languate, and then use your favorite text editor such as vi, emacs, notepad, editpad, textpad...

My final comments is that no matter how compliant WYSIWYGs are in their XHTML, HTML, XML, etc. They still don't give you the CONTROL that text editors give you. Seriously. Even if the code on Dreamweaver is perfect XHTML it still can be hard sometimes to get Dreamweaver to do the small things that you want to do. So if your not lazy and do things by hand you have that control. Plus like said by ig, it costs money for Dreamweaver unless you get it illegally. You can find text editors all over the web for free.

Tweak said:
My final comments is that no matter how compliant WYSIWYGs are in their XHTML, HTML, XML, etc. They still don't give you the CONTROL that text editors give you. Seriously. Even if the code on Dreamweaver is perfect XHTML it still can be hard sometimes to get Dreamweaver to do the small things that you want to do. So if your not lazy and do things by hand you have that control.
Perfectly agree with that, you do need to understand how the HTML all fits together, but then you can use something like DW to speed the design, as long as you know how the HTML all works then you can just dive into the code when the package isnt doing just what you want it to.

@Friend of Bill: good man, learn it proper ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back