HP mini 210

Taggert_LOA

Modding Addict
Political Access
ok here is the deal. my neighbor got one of these for free w/fios. gave it to her 10yr old kid. she gives it to me saying it don't work. when it went to boot up it would give the significant hardware change boot speil. tried to boot in every mode imagineable. finally used the included roxio system restore and got it to boot, somewhat. once i got past the explorer.exe issue.(endtask then start task) i could see the taskbar and desktop icons. norton was expired, loaded avg pro via sd card and ran virus scan. after almost two hours comes back with 1777 viruses. i've tried everything to purge the drive of the virus(es) and nothing has worked. is the only option a full format and fresh install?

Yes, I would do a full reformat. I would also tell the people who have it to start monitoring what sites they go to, and stop clicking yes to every pop-up the shows up on the screen.

Yes, I would do a full reformat. I would also tell the people who have it to start monitoring what sites they go to, and stop clicking yes to every pop-up the shows up on the screen.

well, in order to reformat and install the new os she would need to purchase both an external cd and os. she does not want to incur the costs, so i'm going to offer her salvage value for the netbook and repair it myself. she's looking at 170.00 in repair costs. and she can pick a new one up for around 230.00.

well, in order to reformat and install the new os she would need to purchase both an external cd and os. she does not want to incur the costs, so i'm going to offer her salvage value for the netbook and repair it myself. she's looking at 170.00 in repair costs. and she can pick a new one up for around 230.00.

It doesn't have an external partition for that? I just fixed a friends and all I have to do was push F13, I think? at boot up and it reset everything to factory default.

the problem is that all the backup files are corrupted. i tried resetting it to factory and the virus was still there. whatever they got it's the nastiest damn thing i've ever seen.

That isn't good. If that is the case then you will have to hook an external cd rom, or zip drive, to it and fix it ..

well i am waiting to see what my neighbor wants to do. i don't think they are going to cover the cost of repairing it. she's on a fixed income. so i'll do what i can to get her as much money for it as i can. i might fix it and let her pay me in installments. biggest problem is if she gives it back to the 10 yr old how long before i am foing this again?

Kapersky did a fair enough job til it too became corrupted. it gave me enough to purge the hdd and i installed windows 7 ultimate. it runs so much better. i know avg is not the best but i have a ton of licenses so it's better than what was on there which was expired norton. so now her grandkid can ruin it all over again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back