HP dv9000z Display problem

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey guys,
So my two year old HP dv9000z just apparently died. It froze, I restarted it and now the display shows vertical lines that appear as soon as it turns on, before the bios, etc...
Does anyone know how to fix this issue?
Im assuming that its a hardware problem maybe with the motherboard.
Does anyone know where I could get one cheap?

OR

If not, does anyone know of another good laptop brand that has HP performance but better quality. Because I can tell you, this laptop is the biggest piece of SH*T I have ever owned. The performance is great, the quality is awful.

Thanks,
Jack

Hook another monitor up to it. If it does it then, you know it is the motherboard or video card.

Hook another monitor up to it. If it does it then, you know it is the motherboard or video card.
Hey, nothing pops up on the other monitor at all. I wonder if I could take a video or something to show everyone exactly whats going on. Im just wondering because if its the system board I can replace that but it will be somewhere in the hundreds of dollars (IF i can get my cpu off the current board which i haven't looked to see how its attached, no doubt its different than the way a desktop's processor is attached right....?

500 bucks to send it to hp, and from what i hear online this was a common problem. its too bad i like hp performance cuz they really haven't got anything in the way of reliability anymore. Although right now my two computers are a 2004 Compaq laptop and a 2003 Compaq Desktop lol. Both of which chug on like champs, even though i've dropped the laptop countless times. and NO I have never dropped that 1700 dollar paperweight of a laptop dv9000 ever, it just crapped out on me. I even had a cooling pad for it since they did such a crappy job of cooling it.

But anyways, thanks for the reply sorry for my delayed response been a busy couple weeks at work :(

How would I tell if its the motherboard or the video card, I know people say there isnt one on a laptop but i have a sneaky suspicion that there may be a crappy fake video card in my laptop, hopefully.

This is the AMD version of the 9000, it uses the Nvidia 430 chipset. It does not have a separate video card module.

Interestingly: wiki land says the MB is prone to failures that can take out the video that have led to extended warantees (only 24 month)..
Dv9000z - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the problem isjsut with bad solder joints you might be able to fix it yourself.

This is the AMD version of the 9000, it uses the Nvidia 430 chipset. It does not have a separate video card module.

Interestingly: wiki land says the MB is prone to failures that can take out the video that have led to extended warantees (only 24 month)..
Dv9000z - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the problem isjsut with bad solder joints you might be able to fix it yourself.
I took the board out and couldn't visibly see anything that needed to be re-soldered but I'll try again if you think that could be the cause, unfortunately my laptop is not included in the recall (for some reason) i talked to HP and they said that it would be 500 buckaroos to replace it, at which I spoke a profanity and hung up. From what I can tell the boards can go for as cheap as 150 on ebay, and its real easy to replace the boards so I guess i'll just take another wack at it, good to get that 2nd opinion as to it being a hardware issue, and also that my laptop doesn't have a separate graphics module. Thanks!

Hey Guys,
So after doing some dismantling (the entire way) I have my system board out. and I have found a replacement (459566-001 - New HP Pavilion dv9500, dv9700, dv9800, dv9900 Series Full-Featured (FF) Laptop Motherboard (System Board) - Laptop System Boards for HP Compaq) my question is does this include the two NVidia graphics chips that are on the board? If not how would I know that its the board and not the actual chips. I'll post pictures of my actual board in a couple of minutes so you guys can get an idea of the situation lol. Some parts of the board didn't look to healthy IE they kinda looked brownish and almost burned in the area beneath the GPU. that board is 130 bucks and i think a reworking is somewhere around 100, so I don't really know if its worth it to have the motherboard soldering reworked or re-flowed, whatever its called.

Edit: I also just found a refurbished motherboard for 114 dollars, would it be better to get that since maybe it has been checked for issues? or better to get the new one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back