Review HP Better Together, my initial thoughts

Jewelzz

OSNN Godlike Veteran
Here are my initial thoughts of the HP dv6-1299lx and HP Mini-110-1036SR college bundle which were sent to me by HP recently to evaluate for a few months and are the same models involved with the OSNN, Ivy Worldwide, HP & Microsoft Competition - Better Together Giveaway, so if any of the prizes there interest you this is what you could get your hands on!

HP dv6-1299lx
  • Product Number VH682UA#ABA
  • Microprocessor 2.00 GHz Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology featuring Intel Core2 Duo Processor P7350
  • Microprocessor Cache 3 MB L2 Cache
  • Memory 4096MB
  • Memory Max 8192MB
  • Video Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 (M96)
  • Video Memory Up to 2815MB (1024MB dedicated)
  • Hard Drive 500GB (5400RPM)
  • Multimedia Drive LightScribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer
  • Display 16.0" Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Infinity Display (1366×768)
  • Network Card Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN
  • Wireless Connectivity Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN
  • Sound Altec Lansing with SRS Premium Sound
  • Keyboard 101-key compatible with full size keyboard with integrated numeric keypad
  • Pointing Device Touch Pad with On/Off button and dedicated vertical scroll Up/Down pad
  • PC Card Slots 1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
  • External Ports 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
  • 4 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0, 4th port shared with eSATA
  • 2 Headphone out
  • 1 microphone-in
  • HDMI
  • 1 VGA (15-pin)
  • eSATA + USB 2.0
  • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
  • 1 notebook expansion port 3
  • 1 IEEE 1394
  • Wirewire (4-pin)
  • 1 Consumer IR (Remote Receiver)
  • Other Devices HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone
  • Integrated Fingerprint Reader
Included software:
  • Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit with Service Pack 1 (1)
  • Security and Support: Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009 (including 60 days complimentary live update) (19b)
  • HP Help & Support
  • HP Recovery Manager
  • HP Total Care Advisor
  • ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
  • HP MediaSmart
  • Muvee Reveal
  • Cyberlink DVD Suite
  • Adobe Acrobat Reader
  • HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent
  • Microsoft Works
  • Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Edition: 60 Day Trial Version
  • HP Total Care Set Up
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer

Syncables Desktop lets you sync, share and migrate your media, bookmarks, email and documents between your computers.

syncables_1.gif
The "My Computer" library pane lets you browse the photos, music, videos, documents, and bookmarks that have been set up on this computer.

syncables_2.gif
The "Mail" pane displays locally stored email items (Inbox, Drafts, etc.) associated with the supported email application installed on your computer - Outlook, Windows Mail, Outlook Express, and Thunderbird.

syncables_3.gif
The "Sites" pane lets you access the photos and videos that have been published to your accounts, such as YouTube, SmugMug, and more.

syncables_4.gif
The "Computers" pane displays all available computers running syncables desktop on your local network.

syncables_5.gif
The "Devices" pane displays all available portable USB storage devices connected to your computer.

The Syncables Desktops Software is located on the mini and is easy to install on to the HP dv6. To get the software onto your HP dv6 you simply locate the folder under programs in the Syncables Desktop folder, save to a USB drive, transfer to the dv6 then install. Viola, you are ready to go! You must be on same network in order to sync the two or more computers. Transfer rate is slow when doing multiple files but seems quicker when doing single file transfers.

Although the Syncables Desktop software states you can share data on up to five computers, I’m having issues sharing between the three I’m currently running the software on. Each laptop sees only one laptop, not two. Something I need to work on and out.

The HP Webcam with integrated digital microphone has a high quality, excellent picture, according to my friend who I Skype’d with to test the quality.

The trackpad on the HP dv6 is the same shiny silver tone which is on the HP dv2. Like with the dv2 I’m not a fan of this trackpad, a bit too slick, needs some sort of traction.

Being a former data entry clerk I have to say I absolutely love the 10 touch pad. But I must say I have a bit of trouble adjusting to the difference in the keyboards from the mini to the dv6. I find myself have to back space a lot since my fingers are usually on the wrong keys. Just a minor adjustment that I’m sure I’ll get used to, eventually.

Again, I’m not a fan of Microsoft Vista and I’ve read on HPs site that if you order the dv6 now it will come Microsoft Windows 7 will come pre-installed, YAH!

Graphics on the dv6 are simply amazing. Now, I’m not a gamer but did loan the dv6 to a friend who installed Sims3 and Gothic 3 Foresaken. Both are fairly demanding and the ATI Radeon HD 4650 performed superbly.

Internet Explorer 7 comes installed but Internet Explorer 8 can be easily installed via Windows Update (which you should of course always check immediatly with a new computer).

The CyberLink DVD Suite came pre-installed for use with the Blu-Ray LightScribe DVD RW dual layer player. CyberLink doesn’t allow for frame adjustment although the LightScribe image turned out well. I much rather prefer Nero for LightScribe image burning.

The Blu-Ray drive is a superb additon and audio is excellent for a laptop.

The 16 inch HD BrightView infinity monitor is fabulous. It’s much larger than what I’ve been working with lately which is a nice change and the picture quality and superb.

The processor: 2gig Intel Centrino 2 featuring a Core 2 dual processor P7350 and 4gig of memory, WOW!

dv6_capture.jpg

HP Mini 110-1036NR
  • Product Number VA719UA#ABA
  • Microprocessor 1.60GHz Intel Atom Processor N270
  • Microprocessor Cache 512KB L2
  • Memory 1024MB DDR2 System Memory (1 Dimm)
  • Memory Max 1024MB
  • Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
  • Video Memory Up to 128MB
  • Hard Drive 160GB (5400RPM)
  • Display 10.1” Diagonal SD LED Anti-glare Widescreen Display (1024 x 576)
  • Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
  • Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN
  • Sound HD Audio
  • stereo speakers
  • integrated microphone
  • Keyboard 82 key (92% Full size)
  • Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down (note: no on/off button)
  • External Ports 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards
  • 3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
  • Headphone-out/Microphone in combo jack (compatible with 3.5mm 4-conductor jack with stereo audio and mono mic)
  • 1 VGA (15-pin)
  • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
  • Other Devices HP Webcam with integrated microphone
  • Dimensions 10.3 in (L) x 6.77 in (D) x 1.04-1.29 in (H)
  • Weight 2.89 lbs
  • Security Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
  • Power-on password
  • Accepts 3rd party security lock devices
  • Power 30W AC Adapter
  • 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery
Included software:
  • Operating System: Genuine Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 3
  • Security and Support: Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009 (including 60 days complimentary live update)
  • Syncables Mobile Desktop 5
  • Back On Track Recovery
  • LifeLock (identity protection)
  • Adobe Reader
  • eBay
  • HP Document Viewer
  • Windows Media Player 11
  • Adobe Flash Player
  • HP Games Powered by Wild Tangent
  • Pandora Internet Radio; Snapfish
  • HP Battery Check
  • Microsoft Works 9.0; MS Office Home & Student Edition 2007 - 60Day Trial
  • HP Help & Support
  • HP User Guides
  • HP Wireless Assistant
  • HP Mobile Broadband Setup Utility
  • Sun Java Virtual Machine
  • AOL (internet portal)
  • AOL AIM (instant messaging)
  • Skype (instant messaging, voice & video calls)
  • MSN Toolbar
  • Internet Explorer 7
What can I say about the mini, it's small and compact (2.89 lbs), perfect for carrying around on a daily basis and not feeling like you have a ton a bricks on your back. Don't let the size fool you, this mini laptop packs a punch! I used the HP mini Vivienne Tam edition from January 2009 until June 2009 when I received the dv2 for review and love working on it. I only stopped so I could review the dv2 and the dv6/mini bundle. Your guess is as good as mine as to which will become my primary laptop.

The biggest con for me with the mini is that there isn't an internal DVD drive. I can understand the concept behind that and it's really a mute point when it comes the the dv6/mini bundle since the dv6 has a kick butt Blu-Ray drive.

Timbuk2: H.A.L. Backpack

Features
  • Super durable ballistic nylon exterior
  • Padded, low profile internal laptop compartment for full protection without the bulk
  • Timbuk2's trademarked Swing Around Access; grab your laptop without taking off your pack.
  • Lightweight ergonomic shoulder straps are designed to fit people, not robots
  • Padded back panel with secret small zipper pocket for easy key storage
  • Multiple grab straps for easy lifting
  • Huge internal volume for carrying loads of stuff
  • Super easy-access internal organization area for pens and such
  • Small external zipper pocket for stashing small things
  • Ultra adjustable sternum straps

Let's not forget the Timbuk2 laptop bag which was sent along with the HP dv6/HP Mini Back to School Bundle. Timbuk2 has several bags in different shapes, sizes and styles. I received the H.A.L. which is one of the largest bags I've used. While it's still compact in that it doesn't take up much room, I can easily fit the HP dv6, HP dv2 and the HP Mini along with power cables for each and still have room for other things. Now I wouldn't suggest carrying all those electronics, but it is possible. A very sturdy bag and well worth the money.

I almost got one today, went for a vaio instead ..

Ouch, you should have waited 10 hours ;)
More info in.. 10 hours ;)

And posted in the competition thread, gogoog, awesome offer :D

Why don't you tell us these things ahead of time lol . Sheesh ... I could still take it back, get my money back and get that :)

Unfortunately we're unable to let the cat out of the bag that and, we're not given all the information until the exact time the promo started. A few small yet important details were left out until early this morning.

I don't know what you go Johnny but the dv6 is sweet and this deal is even sweeter!

Unfortunately we're unable to let the cat out of the bag that and, we're not given all the information until the exact time the promo started. A few small yet important details were left out until early this morning.

I don't know what you go Johnny but the dv6 is sweet and this deal is even sweeter!

I got a sony vaio - same specs as the hp offered. It is a nice Pc ...I am liking it so far. The 16 inch wide screen is nice.

Holy Moly what a review 0_0. This is much better than some official sites.

Hi Jewelzz, I wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed your review. It kept my interest. So many reviews are just darn boring today. I felt you gave alot of info while keeping the readers interest.

I learned alot. If I happen to win in the HP contest your review confirmed my thoughts in giving the HP Mini to my son who is going to college this year. Thanks!

Thanks Terrahertz and dawns41 :)

dawns41, you son would love the mini for school. It's compact yet powerful enough for the daily tasks college students do.

Thank you for a very informative review Jewel. I can only dream of owning these laptops. The bag would be great for carrying the two laptops!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back