Howto track websites visited??

shoulin

OSNN Addict
So heres my delima, i need to track websites visited, but i wont have direct access to the computer...

.. i have access to the router the computer is on, so i was wondering if there is a DNS server out there that has LOGS or something similar i can set the router to use and i can check logs ....

... or if there is a dns server software as i am on 20mbit so i could host the server myself....

the computer needing to be tracked is in a different house than i am, so any sort of LAN utility woudlnt work...

.. anyone know of anything like a DNS server with logs of pages accessed?

Thanks in Advance

Set up a Squid server, and then set up the proxy inside IE/FireFox to use that, and then you can log all the websites visited. DNS will cause a lot of false positives as you will see just DNS requests, not what pages the computer has visited.

Your best bet is to have the machine locked down, and have everything monitored and pull out the information you need.

I have to question though, what is this for? Monitoring what kids are doing? I would hereby like to point out that I am against monitoring internet access in any way shape or form, and believe that the kids should be taught what not to visit, by finding it out themselves, and or having a chat with the kids before they surf the web, with a watchful eye here and there.

Set up a Squid server, and then set up the proxy inside IE/FireFox to use that, and then you can log all the websites visited. DNS will cause a lot of false positives as you will see just DNS requests, not what pages the computer has visited.

Your best bet is to have the machine locked down, and have everything monitored and pull out the information you need.

I have to question though, what is this for? Monitoring what kids are doing? I would hereby like to point out that I am against monitoring internet access in any way shape or form, and believe that the kids should be taught what not to visit, by finding it out themselves, and or having a chat with the kids before they surf the web, with a watchful eye here and there.

I agree with just about all of your post existance except in one case;

if the computer has a clear warning that all internet activity is logged monitered

for instance if I have a bussiness and a general computer I'm telling everyone that uses it that the sites are logged

then of course I don't have to do it since nobody in their right mind is gonna go somewhere they shouldn't be going at work.

Businesses are something entirely different. I am not against monitoring there, as it is against the documents one has signed upon entering into employment that one is going to do work, and not surf flash game sites.

and believe that the kids should be taught what not to visit, by finding it out themselves, and or having a chat with the kids before they surf the web, with a watchful eye here and there.

I almost ruptured myself laughing as I read that. Obiously you never dealt with kids, or else they are totally conning you. As soon as "supervision" turns it's back (or even blinks) they are doing exactly what they were told not to do. Think back to when you were a kid...

PS Adults using company assets are not much better.

.. i have access to the router the computer is on, so i was wondering if there is a DNS server out there that has LOGS or something similar i can set the router to use and i can check logs ....

There were some routers Dlink? a few years back that actually logged websites and sent them to a text file. Not sure they can send to a text file on a computer not on the same LAN though. It was part of their parental controls functions.

A friend of mine was playing around with his which is how he found out what the kids were up to on the internet. He added a keystroke logger shortly afterwards and found out the whole story...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, this is for my girls computer at her house.

... she has been thinking people have been using it as her net history seems to be mysteriously "dissapearing" ... she doesnt know for sure, not a huge deal, but the only people that could be using it would be her parents...

... spying is crappy, but i have no sympathy for her parents

thanks again

Leejend: Damnit, if you had ruptured whatever you were going to rupture, you'd be in the hospital right now. Would mean you could not have typed that amusing reply, and thus I would not have to waste my time replying to that.

Sure, kids do what you tell em not to do, but you warned/told them about it ahead of time. Then it is up to them. That is how I was taught.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back