HowTo set Folder Background image

D

debo

Remember the all-too-cool feature in Windows2000 where you could add an image as the background of any folder?

How can this be done in Windows XP? Trust me, it can be done using the Win2000 method.

I miss this feature, can anyone help me out there?

well if it can be done i would like to know how you do it.. because i cant..

Hallo I found the following somewhere (can´t remember where):

What you have to do:
create a desktop.ini file in the folder (new textfile, afterwards rename), containing the lines:

[{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}]
Attributes=1
IconArea_Image=BGPATH
IconArea_Text=0x00RRGGBB

...replacing BGPATH and RRGGBB (text color).

give the folder a 'system' attrribute. To do that you could use PropertiesPlus, or use XP: change the folder icon (this will create a desktop.ini file and set the folder to system), then edit this desktop.ini file replacing its content.

btw to add the system attribute to a file all you have to do is go into the cmd prompt and type attrib +s [path] if it says not resetting hidden file [path] type attrib -h [path] then do it and you have to manually hide the file

It perfectly works on my system. I usually first change the icon of the folder and then paste the lines of my first post into the then existing "desktop.ini" file. Then change imagepath and colour. If you want you may delete the lines concerning the new icon. The first line should still read: [.ShellClassInfo]
I guess this one was not in my first post,sorry. I did not try so far to change attributes with command prombt (still a kind of strange creature for me).

Got it!!!

It works perfectly!
Your instructions were very helpful. Here is a recap of what was done:

1. Right click on folder, select customize. Change Icon. You do this only to trigger the creation of a desktop.ini.

2. You don't have to make the desktop.ini hidden, system, or Read Only. It just has to be there in the proper format/syntax.

3. Open the desktop.ini and edit the image path and text color. I have a centralized location of all my images (d:\downloads\images) Here:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
IconIndex=13
[{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}]
Attributes=1
IconArea_Image=d:\Downloads\images\giants.jpg
IconArea_Text=0x00FFFFFF

Don't copy and paste. I just wanted you to see what it should look like format and syntax wise. Use this to compare agains the automatically generated desktop.ini file.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back