HOWTO: Dual Boot Linux and Windows

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
I came across this really useful video on Google video and thought i would share, its for the previous release of ubuntu, but it will point you in the right direction.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6104490811311898236

p.s. if anyone knows how to make it directly play in this window can you let me know, i've seen others do it on this site.

SOB, i've just spent the last 2 hours trying to get vista and ubuntu to dual boot.

Finally i figured it out

Follow the steps in the video, but once in ubuntu follow these steps

Go into the command prompt, and type:

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst (this will get you into the menu loader, sudo allows you to save under admin
add this to the end of the list (this assumes that vista and ubuntu are on the same disk

title Windows Vista
root (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Then press save restart, press esc (escape key) key when windows starts and you'll see the vista option ready to boot.

...(hd0,0), means hd0(first physical disk),0(first partition). so if you have 2 disks, windows on the second, it would look like this (hd1,0) 2nd drive, 1 partition, hope that helps, if not ask.​

Last edited:
Hmmmm. Good find. I'm not sure what you mean by:
[p.s. if anyone knows how to make it directly play in this window can you let me know, i've seen others do it on this site.]

I'm in Vista RC1 now, using Firefox 2.0 and Firefox just opened another tab and I watched the video.. :) Awesome.. Thanks for sharing!!

no prob, what i mean is that you can have the actual video appear in the post instead of just the link...

if you do dual boot and run into any issues let me know.

Hehehe... I've been dual booting for years... Seems sorta like breathing these days.. :)

If you install Vista last, you will have to use a live CD and chroot into your linux install to reinstall grub. Windows has never given you an option with their bootloader, it just overwrites anything.

why have I missed this thread? I had so much to give here - all my systems do this - I even have it on my sig..... :dead: I feel like I have been neglecting OSNN - sorry guys :dead:

You have, you make me sick MFG :)

Last edited:
EDIT: I just found out that if you update ubuntu, especially the kernal, you'll need to redo the steps to add Vista onto your grub list and the update seems to wipe the entry out.

just install windowz first then linux , linux automaticaly creates a bootloader for you :) ubuntu pwn3nd windoz :p

Last weekend I was trying to tri-boot Windows x64, FreeBSD 6.1 and Ubuntu 6.06LTS. It all went fine until the Ubuntu install at which point grub was installed into a specially made 256M first partition and windows refused to boot. Oddly it was fine with FreeBSD 6.1.

I think it might have something to do with the sucky linux support for nVidia RAID. Had to burn a special nLite Windows CD to install that properly. FreeBSD picked it up fine with no problems at all. Ubuntu I had to install dmraid, then I couldnt use the GUI Installer app cause it isnt dmraid aware so cant properly set the mount points.

Should be getting an XFX Revo 64 RAID card in the next day or so which should alleviate the linux issue.

Don't know why I am bothering with Linux to be honest, just trying to find out what all the fuss is about these days. But still FreeBSD wins in its oh so simple support for damn near everything :D

Ubuntu is not really linux, anything that updates samba and tells you to restart is not linux.

Seriously though, it is probably due to the fact that Ubuntu blasts through any configuration files and updates them without asking the user. Using lilo or grub on any normal distro, it is quite easy to set up dual- triple- quad boots. I have at times had up to four different variations of Windows, Gentoo, Slackware, or FreeBSD on my main PC without issues, always using lilo, grub, and/or the NT bootloader.

You have to install both lilo/grub and the freebsd bootloader to their partitions, then use dd to copy the first 512 bytes. http://www.j79zlr.com/howto.php?id=6

I haven't tried this with Vista though since I've been using grub to boot everything for a while now.

Ubuntu is not really linux, anything that updates samba and tells you to restart is not linux.

Seriously though, it is probably due to the fact that Ubuntu blasts through any configuration files and updates them without asking the user. Using lilo or grub on any normal distro, it is quite easy to set up dual- triple- quad boots. I have at times had up to four different variations of Windows, Gentoo, Slackware, or FreeBSD on my main PC without issues, always using lilo, grub, and/or the NT bootloader.

i have to agree with you on that but you have to admit its pretty easy to learning , i can then move to mandriva or PHLAK :) PHLAK is awesome :yowch: and it is better than windows :-D

build 2 partition, install windows first on the master partition and install linux on the sacend one, linux will detect windows and build a boot loader and you can choose linux or windows on system boot

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back