How your car computer works!

I

ikester7579

Your car computer works on variables of voltage. Your car computer sends a 5 volt reference (GM computer) to all sensors. Example: Your car computer sends a constant 5 volt signal to the t.p.s. (throttle position sensor). The t.p.s. works like a light dimmer switch. The more you press on the gas the more voltage is sent to the computer. At idle the voltage is .54, At half throttle it would be around 2.5-3.0 volts. At full throttle it would be at 4.5 volts. The computer is programed to know how far you have pressed on the gas according the voltage feed back it gets. Now the reason why at idle the voltage does not start at 0 volts is because when that sensor shorts and goes above 4.5 or below .54 volts, the computer knows it's malfuntioned, and sets the check engine soon light on your dash.
The average computer controlled car has 7-20 sensors. Each one feeds the voltage info to the the computer and in a nano second the computer makes a near perfect fuel to air ratio injection.
The oxegen sensor makes it's own voltage. When it has been heated buy the exhaust, The special metal alloys produce a very small amount of voltage. This voltage changes with the oxygen content of the exhaust. The computer reads this voltage information to make sure it's injecting the right amount of fuel. It tries to keep the oxygen sensor at .500 volts. The oxygen sensor is like the final check sensor the computer uses to learn how much fuel to inject. Yes your car computer has a learning capability. When the computer has learned how your motor needs fuel at any given moment it saves that information, which is called burn in. The computer will now use this info to run the car. When the car has a tuneup this computer needs to be reset so the computer can relearn the new way the car will run with tuneup. It takes about 50 miles to do this. Resetting the computer is done buy disconnecting the negative side of the battery for about 30 minutes. The saved information is erased and computer is now ready to relearn how to inject the fuel your engine needs. It is best during the relearn period to use light throttle. The computer learns best this way and your engine will be more responsive when done learning.

Well I could go on but I think you get the picture on how it works.
ikester

Think I will read this later today, 6am and my head hurts :D

Just as long as it works better than this thing sitting on my desk I'll be happy & safe. :D

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back