How to verify Windows version?

G

Gouk

I am in doubt as to whether my Windows ME and Windows 2000 Pro are FINAL versions or not.

The files on my Windows ME CD are dated: 08 June 1999

The files on my Windows 2000 Pro CD are dated: 19 Dec 1999

Is there any other way to verify whether I have the final versions of these products or not without installing them (i got no space for install)?

Please someone help me or compare the dates to your own CD's of these OS's?

PS: For some reason my Windows 2000 Pro does not need a serial key for installing.

For Win2k, nagivigate to the X:\i386 folder and find the file 'winnt32.exe.' Right click on it> properties> 'version' tab> Under 'item name' highlight 'file version,' mine is 5.00.2143.1. I'm not sure why you don't have to enter a product key.

For WinME, follow the same procedure above except right click on the 'Setup.exe' file. Mine is 4.90.3000.

Originally posted by Gouk
PS: For some reason my Windows 2000 Pro does not need a serial key for installing.
Yeah I've seen that somewhere. I think all you did was replace the three last digits of a number in an .ini file on the CD with 270 or something. Really stupid feature. Go Microsoft! (*not*) :p

Originally posted by Lonman
For Win2k, nagivigate to the X:\i386 folder and find the file 'winnt32.exe.' Right click on it> properties> 'version' tab> Under 'item name' highlight 'file version,' mine is 5.00.2143.1. I'm not sure why you don't have to enter a product key.

For WinME, follow the same procedure above except right click on the 'Setup.exe' file. Mine is 4.90.3000.

Looks like your copy of Win 2000 is BETA.

My Windows 2000 Pro is verified to be the final retail with the hacked "no serial key" fix :D

The version number is: 5.00.2195.1

My copy of Windows ME is the same version no. as yours though.

I think it is the final of win2k

5.00.2195.1 is the build number for win2k+SP2
(if i remember right anyway, which i probably dont :D)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back