How to use the Windows XP Recovery Console

Absolutely, I did. So far I've changed my main/admin privilege user account to a blank password, and I also booted up in safe mode and change the user account named "Administrator" also to a blank password (even though it already was set that way). Apparently neither of these user identities have anything to do with the Admin password in the recovery console.

I'm wondering if my manufacturer may have chosen a pw specific to the recovery console that I am not aware of, because I'm running out of ideas.

Need Help with Recovery Console

This is what it says when try to run C:\i386\WINNT32.EXE \cmdcons:

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.
Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

What should I do I don't want to do something I will regret.

Please Help!

You need to slipstream your CD with the latest service pack if you are running it....

That should fix the problem.

bibibeas said:
This is what it says when try to run C:\i386\WINNT32.EXE \cmdcons:

Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.
Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered.

What should I do I don't want to do something I will regret.

Please Help!

Welcome to OSNN! Well - before I give any advice I would like to know what it is you are setting out to achieve? Are you making a reformat and install? Is yours an OEM machine? What led you to be running the recovery console? Have you tried a repair of your windoze?

*GASP*

I can't tell you how long i've looked for a way to access non-system files in the recovery console! Your the best!!!

Re: [HOW TO]: Use the Windows XP Recovery Console

d_weasel said:
*GASP*

I can't tell you how long i've looked for a way to access non-system files in the recovery console! Your the best!!!
Guess I didn't see this post earlier. Glad to help. :)

Cue that music from Karate Kid "your the best, around nothings gonna ever keep
you down..."

Thread re-stuck ;)

Wow a very useful thread!

Thanks alot.

NetRyder said:
By default, the Recovery Console allows you to access only the root folder, the WINDOWS folder (and it's subfolders), and removable drives such as the CD-ROM. Also, it will not allow you to copy files to removable media such as floppies. However, you can make some changes that will allow you to access all folders on your drives, as well as copy files to removable media. Follow the steps below:

Allow Access to all folders and removable media:
1. Click Start, click Run, type mmc in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in, and then click Add.
3. Click Group Policy, and then click Add.
4. Click Local Computer, click Finish, and then click Close to return to the Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box.
5. Click OK to return to the Console window.
6. Expand the Local Computer Policy object to Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options.
7. Select the Security Options object in the Console pane to display the security policies in the Details pane.
8. In the Details pane, double-click the Recovery Console: Allow Floppy Copy And Access To All Drives And Folders policy.
9. Click Enabled, and then click OK.

Was thinking maybe you should add to the first post that the above works on XP Pro only as XP Home can not use the group policy snap-in.

Great post Nets :)

great post.

My computer didnt come with a cd, just a option to rstore windows. I have A windows media center and i can get my hands on a xp without sp2...will that be a problem?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back