how to use dos

scottb8855

OSNN Newbie
well i have windows xp pro and i installed Service pack 2 which sucks ass. I restarted the computer after installing it. I got a screen that said that windows has a missing or courpt file which is:

windows\inf\biosinfo\inf

how do i get into dos and take the file off a floppy and install it to windows it has been a long time i total forgot how to use dos. can someone give me run down how to do this. i dont want to lose anything off the computer. thanks much scott

xp does not have dos
you cannot do this.
try hitting f8 when booting and go into safe mode.
or putting the harddrive ina different PC and copying the file

i cant figure out how to replace or delete service pack 2 from the computer so it will work again

DOS = Disk operating system

Windows XP is one of those.

the recovery console is plani and simple a command line interface to NT DOS :D

hehe sorry had to be pedantic there :D

why not make a dos bootable floppy disc with the file on it and:

copy a:fielname.xxx c:\path\filename.xxx

this what you are looking for?

EJ

Making a DOS boot disk will not work unless you formated the HD as FAT32 before installing XP. Otherwise, DOS will not recognize the NTFS drive. You can download a "Live" Linux OS will boot and run from a CD-ROM. Knoppix is good one. They will recognize NTFS hard drives, and you will be able to use a "Windows-like" interface, a GUI.

-Zaphod

Zaphod1620 said:
Making a DOS boot disk will not work unless you formated the HD as FAT32 before installing XP. Otherwise, DOS will not recognize the NTFS drive. You can download a "Live" Linux OS will boot and run from a CD-ROM. Knoppix is good one. They will recognize NTFS hard drives, and you will be able to use a "Windows-like" interface, a GUI.

-Zaphod
But you can't write to the NTFS drive, so you're out of luck anyway. Unless they've changed that since 3.4. I've tried using all the tricks and tweaks to make the ntfs driver work in writable mode, but no luck.

Apart from that, Knoppix has saved my life on more than one occation. Allways have a Knoppix CD around! :)

You can try a progam called winternals. It's not "free" like knoppix, but it works the same way, boot up into a windows interface and run the OS completely off the CD. I use Winternals Admin Pack, because your working in a XP Enviroment, just off of CD, you have complete read write access to all your NTFS drives, you can also edit the registry, accounts, reset passwords (including the Admin's), partitioning tools, nero, anti-virus, full network support, USB drives etc etc etc. Between it and knoppix there's not too many problems you can't get around.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back