How to Uninstall Messenger ??

DrMetallica

OSNN Senior Addict
I try to uninstall windows messanger to free up space on my HDD (i have 28 megs free on an 75 gig drive) and then the bloody thing starts up when ever i open outlook express

how do i disable this fkin bloody program forever?

your not likely to be saving much space by deleting messenger..its a small program from memory.

HOWEVER -> there have been many threads devoted to this topic..its too hot at the moment i coudnt be arsed looking..

but if u do a search for getting rid of it your bound to come up with something juicy from the forums.

jeremy

ay m8 the only one i found you need winxp pro to disable it by using gpedit.msc or some damn thing.

The easiest way is to go to program files/messenger. Rename it too MessengerOff. Done. :D

changed the title of this thread - it wasn't suitable

Uninstall MS Messenger

Click Start \ Run Then type the following:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
• Press ENTER
• Reboot

Keep Messenger from loading with Outlook & Hotmail

There are 2 known issues when you remove Windows Messenger. The first is when you load Outlook Express and use the Contacts pane. This causes OE to try to load Messenger, it can't and this causes a long delay. The Registry entry that corrects this is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Hide Messenger
A DWord value of 2 prevents OE from trying to load it.

The second is that Hotmail's web site will load extremely slowly if Messenger is removed. It’s the same type of hang that OE experiences.

The fix is to rename (leave the field blank)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Messenger.MsgrObject
To
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Messenger.MsgrObjectOld

This removes the reference to the object that Hotmail tries to load, it fails, but it doesn't hang.

smokin[1].gif

:eek:

A couple of points to consider

Before posting, please ensure you have accepted the [Forum Guidelines]
http://www.xp-erience.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=15979
Do not post material that is libelous, obscene, abusive, or that otherwise violates any law or these guidelines.
Do not use vague words in your topic.
Topics such as "help me" will often be ignored- Members will be more likely to view a thread if the topic is more definitive.

nuff said

:cool:

for the record i think "bloody arse" proper describes my dilema with windows messanger but now its fixed :D

thx m8

after installing xp sp1, windows messenger can be uninstalled from the remove windows components thingy in the add or remove programs thingy, yeah u get me

np

just doing me job :D

I've got 3 x kids here so my idea of obscene is a bit more definitive.

regarding your first post

Posted by DrMetallica
(i have 28 megs free on an 75 gig drive)

that is one full drive :eek:

your hdd will have terrible benchmarks :(

couple of questions

1 does your defrag still work ?
2 does your system restore still work ?

:confused:

The removal of Messenger using the option in XP Add and Remove Window Components, just removes it from the Start-Program List. However, if you edit the sysoc.inf file, and remove the word 'hide' from the msmsgs entry you can then use Add and Remove Window Components to disable Messenger completely. Then it is easy enough to activate it again should you wish.

Good for you 2Z!!! And even if it wasn't your kids here, there are lots of youngsters on these forums who are somebody's kids.

Re: Re: How to Uninstall Messenger ??

Posted by TwoZigzagColt45

1 does your defrag still work ?
2 does your system restore still work ?

:confused:

1 i dunno
2 no it gives me annoying pop up messages even after i turned system restore off

@ DrMetallica
:D

I thought it would
XP likes to have plenty of free space to operate

can you not backup some of your files ??
you'll see an increase in performance if you can create 20% free space

this might be worth a look at
its a really good program for seeing exactly whats on your drive
SequoiaView (freeware)
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

@ Allan

Thanks Allan

I try not to be too heavy handed

it can be a fine line when it comes to moderating, as you know ;)

but rules are rules

:cool:

1) Unhide all files
2)search for "sysoc.inf"
3) Open with Notepad
4) remove the word"hide" from messenger file and any other file you like, but leave the "commas" alone.
5) Go to "Add/remove" and delete the Messenger entry that now shows.
This info or part, has appeared before.

That will not help remove Messenger. 2Z's post on the prior page is the correct method.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back