How to setup the pagefile / virtual memory in windows xp??

T

ThePunkerGuy

Ok.. i have to hard drives.. C Drive is a regular with the OS on it and D drive is my raid drive for games. I have 256mb ram now and another stick of 256 in the mail. And when i play SOF2 i get the warning that says i am low on Virtual Memory. Here is how i have it setup now:
vm.jpg

How should i set it up with 256mb ram and how should i set it up when i get my other stick of ram and have 512mb? Should i move the page file to the Raid drive? Have 2 page files? what sized? etc.. Thanks!
- Mike

what drive should i have it on? should i have 2?
-= Mike

ThePunkerGuy, u need to resize the pic in your sig, it's too big, the new forum rules on pics can be found here

just an FYI

:cool:

Ok, its within the pixel size limit and kb size limit.. what ya think?
- Mike

Originally posted by catch23
Supposedly you should have your VM set to 1.5x the amount of RAM you have...I don't buy that, and boosted mine to 1152 - 1920mb while I have 512mb of RAM...and I do notice an increase in performance.

catch...hi...just a slight correction...it's a myth that the ram is supposed to be set at 1.5 ram.

what microsoft says is the absolute minimum the page file should be is 1.5 IF EXPANSION IS ENABLED...and the expansion value is then 3x the 1.5 figure...so here, quite a bit more then 1.5 is available in the pf.

a lot of people have miss read the information when they saw the 1.5 figure...that's the absolute INITIAL MINIMUM SETTING...setting the pf higher cannot possibly hurt, and for quite a few people it will definately help, so you're right about that...I'm just trying to disspell the myth that microsoft suggests 1.5...they don't.

my personal setting is 2x ram, with expansion enabled to the full potential xp allows.

your setting is fine...good post

I have 512mb of ram. What would be the best setting for virtual memory???

i have 2 partitions, and i let it use anywhere from 1024-1024mbs on each for VM and it kix major ass that way =]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back