How to setup internet connection sharing?

K

KrazeFan

Hi,

How do I setup internet connection sharing with WinXP Pro and Win98SE?

The XP PC is going to be the host. I have a cable modem (using DHCP) which is connected to a Netgear NIC. I also have an internal NIC (currently with no settings) which I'm going to connect to a switch. The 98 PC has a Netgear NIC (currently with no settings) which is going to connect to the switch.

Now I'm not sure if this is right so that's why I'm asking. Am I suppose to setup the ICS on the connection that has the internet (in my case the Netgear). If so, doesn't ICS assign 192.168.0.1 to it therefore messing up the DHCP?

Also, do I manually assign 192.168.0.2 to the other PC? Do I add or change any other settings? If I use automatic configuration though, would my ISP also assign an IP for it? If that's the case, I don't want to because I don't want them to know :D

I'm sure there's more to this so please enlighten me. Thanks.

Well I can't offer much help as I've never messed with ICS with XP. I do have a suggestion that might make your life a bit easier, if you have an extranal cable modem then get a router with a built in hub it does what you want to and its generally a lot easier to set up. Well thats my suggestion.
Also Welcome to XP-erience

1. Enable ICS on the modem card. The other card will get 192.168.0.1 as IP.
2. Set the client to automatic IP.
3. Surf away.

If I set the client to automatic, does it get assign 192.168.0.x? Or does it get whatever my ISP assign?

It gets 192.168.0.xxx since the only DHCP server the computer can see is you ICS machine.

Ok, guys... thanks for answering all my questions.

One last question before I set up my router that I just bought. Should I still use a software firewall like ZoneAlarm? I think the router has a firewall but that only protect me against incoming traffic and not outgoing, correct?

If I do need it does the client computer need them too?

Well you don't really need a firewall on your system if you have a router but I would make sure you have an anti-virus program. I use a firewall with my router so I can control a little better what goes out from my system but you don't really need one I don't think

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back