How To Set User Restrictions??!

T

ThePunkerGuy

In Win XP Pro how can i take 1 of the users on my computer and give that account restrictions like, they cant install programs.. they cant delete files.. they cant access certain folders.. cant run msconfig or reg edit .. etc.. how can i do that? And how can I do that in win xp home ed? Thanks alot..
- Mike

A well positioned shotgun might work. Or you can start the process by opening Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder Options> View. Untick "Use simple file sharing." That will enable security options when you right click on a drive or folder. As for the rest... dunno.

Not for different network computers.. i mean like different users on my computer .. like ya know how ya can log in or out as different users.. like how can i set restrictions to one of those users? Thanks..
- Mike

I believe that applies to a stand alone too. I'm on dsl so my computer thinks it's on a LAN anyway. give it a try and see what you see.

After you untick that "simple...." deal, you should be able to access a whole one or two new security option pages in your right click properties menu. Let me know if it works that way on a standalone or not so I know whether or not to give this tip out to folks asking how to secure folders and such.

Ok.. I made and account on here called "keith" i set it as a limited user instead of a computer administrator.. i took this folder on my desktop called "other" and i delete the permission for "everyone" and set a permission for account "Keith" and i put under deny i checked them all for account "keith" then i logged onto that account and i went right to that other folder and deleted files ran files etc.. dang.. what am i doing wrong? Thanks..
- Mike

It might take a reboot to get everything to take. I'm the only one on my machine and i've removed all accounts except administrator so i'm not sure what the problem could be.

go to the "effective permissions" tab in the folder properties. Enter the username (keith) and see what the permissions show he has access to.

If they don't match up with those you think it should have, then it is inheriting permissions from somewhere. Check the directory one level up is not granting stuff.

I have a feeling that the "Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here" checkbox on the folder will solve your problem if you un-check it.

XP/2K/NT permissions are a pretty complicated thing to try and diagnose when you can't physically muck about with the settings, so i recommend you read an overview of the permissions system (inheritance, effective permissions in particular). Help centre probably has something in it.

I'm not posting this message to help you or anything...

But whit 60 gig hard drive and a punk fan you should have a lot of mp3z...

If ya wanna trade i got over 1000 albums...

punk hardcore anything let me know!

icq 64392976

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back