How to run single core on multi core

one.123

-0-;;
i have a quad-core cpu, and i found out after trying starcraft, that running it on a multi core processor generates an insane amount of lag. so im looking for a program that will let me use only 1 core when running certain programs. thanks in advance

Simply startup your taskmanager and select the process.

Right click will bring up a menu, on the menu you will find SET AFFINITY.

You should see a small dialog box with 4 cores listed.

Uncheck all but 1 and voila, you are all set.

This is built into windows btw, you don't need other tools.

Cheers :)

Is there a way to force an application to run on only one core though, something akin to the WinXP compatibility options

The "set affinity" does that for you. I am not sure if there is something that can be setup to FORCE it to run automatically w/o some kind of registry hacks or 3'rd party applications OR changing the command-line startup options.

The last should be, technically, the easiest route to do it.

Yeah I got that you could do it to an actively running process, but it was the persistence I think which was desired. Yeah the command line method or potentially running the exe through another program much like the UNIX nice(1) command.

Is there a way to force an application to run on only one core though, something akin to the WinXP compatibility options

Yes there is with the IMAGECFG tool. I just ran it on the Far Cry executable and now Far Cry runs on one core without having to task out/set affinity. I first read about imagecfg tool here then I found the tool here. It is also on the Windows NT 4.0 CD. I would suggest making a copy of your executable before running the tool just in case the result is not what you expected.

Last edited:
cool, take it it brands the exe with a big "SINGLE CORE" stamp much like cattle :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back