• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to run single core on multi core

i have a quad-core cpu, and i found out after trying starcraft, that running it on a multi core processor generates an insane amount of lag. so im looking for a program that will let me use only 1 core when running certain programs. thanks in advance

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Simply startup your taskmanager and select the process.

Right click will bring up a menu, on the menu you will find SET AFFINITY.

You should see a small dialog box with 4 cores listed.

Uncheck all but 1 and voila, you are all set.

This is built into windows btw, you don't need other tools.

Cheers :)

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
The "set affinity" does that for you. I am not sure if there is something that can be setup to FORCE it to run automatically w/o some kind of registry hacks or 3'rd party applications OR changing the command-line startup options.

The last should be, technically, the easiest route to do it.

Yeah I got that you could do it to an actively running process, but it was the persistence I think which was desired. Yeah the command line method or potentially running the exe through another program much like the UNIX nice(1) command.

American Zombie

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
Is there a way to force an application to run on only one core though, something akin to the WinXP compatibility options
Yes there is with the IMAGECFG tool. I just ran it on the Far Cry executable and now Far Cry runs on one core without having to task out/set affinity. I first read about imagecfg tool here then I found the tool here. It is also on the Windows NT 4.0 CD. I would suggest making a copy of your executable before running the tool just in case the result is not what you expected.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierge