How To Restrict Chatting

W

WiredBrain

I'm using XP Pro. I wanted to restrict access to chatting. What should I do ? Any software or anything that will solve my problem ?

PS I prefer something simple and err...freeware . :D

All program eg. ICQ and MSN Messenger and other online chatting
site eg. Yahoo . Thamk you for your reply .

resrricted acess is hard

no acess is easy....:)

Here is one way...

You could set you firewall to block programs like MSN, ICQ or whatever from connecting the the net. So when u want to allow access, u login to you firewall (with password) and allow these programs to access the net.

This is just one of a handfull of ways of restricting chatting. Hope this helps.

Re: Here is one way...

Originally posted by Dimoe
You could set you firewall to block programs like MSN, ICQ or whatever from connecting the the net. So when u want to allow access, u login to you firewall (with password) and allow these programs to access the net.

This is just one of a handfull of ways of restricting chatting. Hope this helps.

I get around this. There are public proxy servers out on the web that use port 80. Point IP to one of these and your able to go through the firewall via port 80. In most cases, you don't want to block port 80 on your firewall. You could monitor your firewall logs and see where people are connecting - then restrict access to those sites. However, there are thousands of public proxies out there with new ones coming on line everyday. Good luck. And even if you succeed this way - I have even tunnelled out to perform IM. simple and free apps like fpipe will allow this. now you have to block tunneling. And what about vpn access out to a public network, and.............

I don't believe that you can fight technology with technology. It's just a leapfrog game of who wins which day. My suggestion is to create policies - rules as to what can be done and what can't be done. Then, when someone disobeys (you catch them) you discipline as needed.

Scooby

Actually, my main concern is those web-based chatrooms. I can easily prevent installation of chatting client eg. ICQ. So, is every chatrooms need to download plugins in order to run ? How can I block them ?

I'm pretty sure all web-chat rooms i've seen use java applets or active-x "do you want to install and run this program? this is provided by microsoft, click here to always trust microsoft software". disable both of those in tools --> options --> security tab. then custom level and disable everything java and active x. make sure no-one finds out because this is prolly the only way to do it.

Another thing, will it interrupt my surfing experience if disable those java and activex ? FYI, I don't chat .

DrMetallica, (or anyone)

Can I know the disadvantages of blocking those two things besides preventing access to chatrooms ?

alot of online plug-ins are installed using active-x

javascript is basically an eye-candy language so alot of spoofy effects you won't be able to see (i don't think this is a disatvantage)

but when you want to vote in some online -polls you must have javascript enabled or view some thumbnail pictures you'll have to enable it.

j-script isn't my favorite language(because it's client-side) and active x can be used as an exploit.

why are you itching to disable chat-rooms anyways? i personally would never use a browser chat-room because the page would need to be refreshed everytime a user sent a text line.

Re: Re: Here is one way...

Originally posted by scooby_work

I get around this. There are public proxy servers out on the web that use port 80. Point IP to one of these and your able to go through the firewall via port 80. In most cases, you don't want to block port 80 on your firewall.
Scooby

Port 80 is an incomming port for web servers. When you are surfing the web your browser is not going out through port 80.

DrMetallica,

I'm not blocking it for myself ... it's my sister ... HELP PLEASE !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back