HOW TO: Restore the prompt to save or open files

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
I have been having a problem the last few days where by if I download a .zip file it was automatically opening with WinRAR and not downloading the .zip to my desktop (default location).

Not a major problem, but frustrating if you are downloading multiple files for later use - instead I have had to immediatly extract them to my desktop and then deal with them later.

In WindowsXP I would have gone to my computer, properties and checked file associations there, sadly in Vista this tab is no longer there and has been replaced with a dumbed down version via Default Programs in the control panel.

So I had to edit the registry.

The information is stored in the following key:

HKEY_Current_User \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ AttachmentsExecute

In this key there is another folder (mine is called {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} ) and this contains all the file types that have been told to "always do the selected operation"

This took me ages to search for, so now hopefully you guys will have better luck!

nice find EP.

Theres a couple of niggles like this in Vista which are backwards steps from XP. not oo many though ;)

What do you have under HKEY_Current_User \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ AttachmentsExecute ?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back