how to report bad sectors

jimi_81

OSNN Senior Addict
Political Access
anyone know of any good programs that can analyze a hard drive and report any bad sectors?

my aunt was having trouble with her machine so i did a few scans and found bad sectors on her brand new western digital 160gb SATA. the western digital disk software flagged the bad sectors for me. I told her to bring the computer in (because its under warranty) and the guy at the desk told her it was kazaa blah blah. but i could see it plain as day... BAD SECTORS. so basically im going to go yell at people. i just need an app that will allow me to print a report

thanks

dan

Windows will do it (scandisk, sector check or surface check) too, then look into your event log for the report. Windows XP.

Stop using WD. (Or tell them to)

The report in XP will show up under Application in event viewer with the source being Winlogon.

ok, im confused.
when i ran the initial tests it said there were bad sectors.

the computer technican guy my aunt took the computer too formatted the drive and reinstalled windows for her.

now when i run a chkdsk, it says theres no bad sectors.
how is this possible? also, if a drive had bad sectors would you replace it?

each hd manufacturer has a utility i think

yes, i used the WD utitlity to "mark" the bad sector.
when the comp was brought in, im assuming they just dumped an image onto the drive, and told her to go home.

156288320 KB total disk space.
5271788 KB in 32505 files.
10540 KB in 2414 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
108244 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
150897748 KB available on disk.

If you format a drive, does that remove all the information in bad sectors? or do the bad sectors always stick around?

well if its something that a format fixes then i wouldnt worry too much, but if its not run the wd utility again and should show up if its still dirty

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back