How to replace Gateway W350A (T-1625) CMOS battery

dreamliner77

The Analog Kid
I just thought I'd leave this here as I couldn't find an answer anywhere on the net. On a Gateway W350A (T-1625) the CMOS battery is a CR1220. It is located internally next to the headphone and mic jacks.

Remove the keyboard and the media button panel.
Remove all the screws from the underside of the laptop.
Remove the access panels.
Remove the hard drive.

There are three screws that holds the chassis together here (inside the hard drive bay). You won't be able to completely open the chassis but now you can use a flat blade (I used a small flat head screw driver) and pry the top and bottom pieces apart.

As I mentioned, you won't be able to completely take the two chassis pieces apart but you will now have enough clearance to access the CMOS battery to the right of the headphone jack (looking at the bottom).

I used a small flat head to pop the battery out. I then used long tweezers to place the new 1220 battery on the battery tray and reached around from the hard drive bay and popped it in with my index finger.

Put everything back together in the order you took it apart.

I hope this post helps someone and makes it a little easier than it was for me.

Hello there.
Thanks for this answer. Unfrotunately i cant find the cmos battery as described. Is it covered by anything or is it visible just by prying the two panels? please help.
I am certain my laptop is a model W350A (T-1625)

Thanks a lot.

hdfika

I just thought I'd leave this here as I couldn't find an answer anywhere on the net. On a Gateway W350A (T-1625) the CMOS battery is a CR1220. It is located internally next to the headphone and mic jacks.

Remove the keyboard and the media button panel.
Remove all the screws from the underside of the laptop.
Remove the access panels.
Remove the hard drive.

There are three screws that holds the chassis together here (inside the hard drive bay). You won't be able to completely open the chassis but now you can use a flat blade (I used a small flat head screw driver) and pry the top and bottom pieces apart.

As I mentioned, you won't be able to completely take the two chassis pieces apart but you will now have enough clearance to access the CMOS battery to the right of the headphone jack (looking at the bottom).

I used a small flat head to pop the battery out. I then used long tweezers to place the new 1220 battery on the battery tray and reached around from the hard drive bay and popped it in with my index finger.

Put everything back together in the order you took it apart.

I hope this post helps someone and makes it a little easier than it was for me.

If memory serves me, it was not covered by anything other than the spring clip that holds it in but it is surrounded by a circular black plastic base.

If memory serves me, it was not covered by anything other than the spring clip that holds it in but it is surrounded by a circular black plastic base.
Can you please tell me what the orientation of the battery is? Positive or negative facing up or does it matter? Thanks

Thank you so much for responding. Living and learning on opening and repairing my laptops. Pulled the battery out without noting correct orientation.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back