how to REALLY tell if u need defrag

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
this is cute...got it reading a post from Jaimie Hanrahan;

first, the common method of looking at the percent a disk is fragmented really doesn't tell you anything about how often the files you access are affected by the fragmentation

for instance, if 75 percent of your drive is fragmented, but those files are hardly ever accessed, then all that really matters is the 25% of the disc that you access all the time...if these aren't fragmented, there's not going to be any gain what so ever with a defrag.

if you're on a server that you need to have "up" as much as possible, you can ignore the percentage of fragmentation and just look to the actual affect the fragmentation is having on your work load

this method is more accurate

open perfmon, (windows key+r, type "perfmon" hit enter)

on one of the counters at the bottom right click, hit add counters.

on the pull down, go to "physical disc". (logical disc might be better)

in the window, add "split IO/sec"

then in the same window add "disc transfer"

Split IO/Sec reports the rate which I/Os to the disk were split into more then one I/O.

this happens for one of two reasons...one is rare..a request for data that's too big to fit into a single I/O or the more common reason, that the data for the IO is fragmented.

Disk Transfers/sec is the rate of the read and write operations on the disk.(total IO's)

if split IO's is about 10% or more of the total, there's probably a performance hit...the file team might suggest 20% to 50% before a user would notice a difference.

obviously, you might want to defrag just for the sake of doing it, but this is kinda cute just for the knowledge of it.

Great info, perris. Always like these kinds of posts from you. :)

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to perris again.

ok, i see where ur going with this. my question is when this monitor is on screen and ur not doing anything but idling, would these 2 counters be useful?

if your not doing anything but idling then a fragmented drive can't hurt you could it...these counters will be flat.

perris said:
if your not doing anything but nidling, then a fragmented drive can't hurt you could it...these counters will be flat.

yes they would be. i figured they wouldnt matter at that point, just wanted to see what u thought. thnx

would copying/pasting be a good way to get a good to find out how badly the fragmentation would be affecting the actual files ur using or would something else say like...just running programs like a web browser, a media player (any), photoshop or etc. be a better way to determine this? thx

mikill said:
yes they would be. i figured they wouldnt matter at that point, just wanted to see what u thought. thnx

would copying/pasting be a good way to get a good to find out how badly the fragmentation would be affecting the actual files ur using or would something else say like...just running programs like a web browser, a media player (any), photoshop or etc. be a better way to determine this? thx
I would log the day and take a look when you're done...or go ahead and start using the programs and files you typically use and look to the counters while doing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back