how to prevent access to a site folder ?

Howling Wolf

We did not deserve this !
Maybe it's not a simple question...

Is there a way for visitors not to access directly an image folder (I don't want someone to copy or view the images without visiting the page they're in...) ?
I tried to put an .htaccess file in this folder but the wrong effect is that the page containing the images cannot access the images unless I give the username/password on clicking the link leading to this page, that's of course not a solution...

Or, how to prevent the ability to copy the images directly from the folder they're stored in ?
Same question, how to prevent image copy from a html page ?

Any suggestions ?
Thank you all !

For an image folder just put a blank page in there called index.html

As for protecting images, there's hundreds of pathetic javascripts out there to do this for you, but I have to say that absolutely none of them work, it is 100% utterly completely impossible to protect images.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
As for protecting images, there's hundreds of pathetic javascripts out there to do this for you, but I have to say that absolutely none of them work, it is 100% utterly completely impossible to protect images.
Yes I agree. If you want users to view the images, they will be able to steal them. The scripts are just annoying.

Thank you for the info SPeedY_B, the index.html might be the right solution.

But I've seen sites that block IE6 image toolbar (when you hover over an image), this option might be of interest for me even though it will not prevent image copy ;)

Interesting, I've never seen or heard of that before. Not everyone uses IE6 though, I'm on a mac and only have IE5 available to me, along with Firebird/safari etc. Although I would imagine that stats show at least 80% of visitors do use IE6, heh.

Only place I can think of, off the top of my head, would be http://hotscripts.com/ there's plenty of scripts there to serve various purposes, may be something there for you :)

I have seen something on the EvertonWebsite which makes it a little harder to access your images. Have a look at the source code for a few tips.

I just right clicked and downloaded an image no problem..

even if you can click on it, save it or anything else, if you can view it you can simply take a cap of it!

Originally posted by Khayman
even if you can click on it, save it or anything else, if you can view it you can simply take a cap of it!
Hence it being 100% impossible to protect images :)

Best way to protect your images, is to not put them on the web :)

hey...there is a way to protect images.
bury every image into a seperate flash file.
;-)
not saying its easy, but it will protect em'

Thank you all, my main concern was that some people seemed to access one of the images folders directly without loading the html they're on and may have copied some of them this way which I find fairly unfair...
I followed SPeeDy_B's advice and put 2-3 index.html in various folders and I'm happy with it now :)

Originally posted by punkandacoke
hey...there is a way to protect images.
bury every image into a seperate flash file.
;-)
not saying its easy, but it will protect em'
Not from the print screen key though.

> SITE CHMOD 711 Images
< 550 CHMOD not allowed on Images

that's what I get when I try... anyway, an index.html page does the trick also, so thank you j79zlr

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back