How to permanently delete files

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict
A lot of people believe that when they empty their deleted files from the Recycle bin then these files are permanently deleted from their hard drive. They're wrong! According to Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/315672?):
When you delete files or folders, the data is not initially removed from the hard disk. Instead, the space on the disk that was occupied by the deleted data is "deallocated." After it is deallocated, the space is available for use when new data is written to the disk. Until the space is overwritten, it is possible to recover the deleted data by using a low-level disk editor or data-recovery software.

So how exactly do you permanently delete your files that you don't want other people to get their hands on? Microsoft offers a free command line utility called SDelete. You can use SDelete to securely delete all your files.

Using SDelete

SDelete is a command line utility that takes a number of options. In any given use, it allows you to delete one or more files and/or directories, or to cleanse the free space on a logical disk. SDelete accepts wild card characters as part of the directory or file specifier.
Usage: sdelete [-p passes] [-s] [-q] <file or directory>
sdelete [-p passes] [-z|-c] [drive letter]

-cZero free space (good for virtual disk optimization).-p passesSpecifies number of overwrite passes.-sRecurse subdirectories.-qDon't print errors (quiet).-zCleanse free space.

To learn more about SDelete and how it works see this article:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897443.aspx

there's also a pretty cool free software called eraser

it features different methods and u can also set the number of passes
plus it integrates into windows explorer so u can right click a file and safe delete it.. or safe clean ur recycle bin

its quite nice :)

This makes me wish I still had the Floppy drive that a good friend of mine from the FBI gave me. It would erase a drive really good - It was used by the government to erase their drives :)

look for either boot and nuke (linux bootable flash/cd/floppy image) or acronis disk director suite/true image both are really good at erasing disks beyond government requirements.

nicee

well.. eraser can use US DoD 5220-22.M which "is sometimes cited as a standard for sanitization to counter data remanence." (so wikipedia says: D)

or if like me you have a friend that does metal work - use a few of his tools - they will erase the drive!! :p

right.. or keep it in a speaker for a few days ;D

won't work :) theres a much stronger magnet inside the drive to move the read/write heads :)

or if like me you have a friend that does metal work - use a few of his tools - they will erase the drive!! :p
That's actually not true. Bullets, magnets, drills, etc are not foolproof. There are people who specialize in recovering data from drives like that. From what I understand, software passes are actually the most effective (and several passes at that). That's all I can really say about it, but I have seen it happen.

As an aside, I can recommend Blancco. You can get a trial, but it's a pay for utility with amazing capabilities

cutting it into small pieces then sticking it in the furnace is fool proof bud :)

To remove all data from the hard drive you need to Purge the drive rather than format it. There are a number of utilities out there that will do it. In Norton Utilities there used to be a DOS program that would do this, it seems now there is a similar program called Norton WipeInfo in the Norton Systemworks Basic and Premier packs.

Alternatively there are free clones of this software such aa Heidi's Eraser

http://www.heidi.ie/node/6

or Darik's Boot and Nuke

http://www.dban.org/download

And also

Also just using a magnet on a hard disk wouldn't guarantee you've totally destroyed all the data anyway, as some drives can still work and still have most of the data on them even after being put next to a large magnet.

Source:http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7591_102-0.html?forumID=26&threadID=314496&messageID=2897192

so your saying that 800+ degrees wont wipe a disc? :p

You'd be surprised what they can recover data from. The only surefire way is to destroy the magnetic surface utterly. Turn it in to fine powder :)

You'd be surprised what they can recover data from. The only surefire way is to destroy the magnetic surface utterly. Turn it in to fine powder :)

Yea make powder paste of it... :) .Hope no one discovers how to recover data from magnetic powder. :nervous:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back