How to permanently delete files

You'd be surprised what they can recover data from. The only surefire way is to destroy the magnetic surface utterly. Turn it in to fine powder :)

at that temp it melts metal - i would thinkg it would do the trick on the platters inside a hdd :p

Here is how I rank various methods in effectiveness:
1) Either using a high power degaussing unit or complete/utter destruction - needs to be grinded to a pulp and beyond. Not practical for most home users.
2) Utilizing the secure erase command built into most ATA drives using a utility like Secure Erase which erases data at the hardware/firmware level (as opposed to software overwrites)
3) Software Disk overwrite utilities like DBAN (Boot & Nuke as mentioned before)

Overwrite utilities have some deficiencies in the completeness of destruction. Take a look at various articles:
NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology)Guidelines for Meda Sanitization - pdf link
http://advosys.ca/viewpoints/2006/07/hard-drive-secure-erase/
http://ultraparanoid.wordpress.com/2007/09/12/securely-erase-hard-drives/

Last edited:
fitz;851521 2) Utilizing the secure erase command built into most ATA drives using a utility like [URL="http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml" said:
Secure Erase[/URL] which erases data at the hardware/firmware level (as opposed to software overwrites)

Doesn't detect any of my SATA disks at all

well after he cooked the drive he poured out - all i saw was white hot metal before he started using it for his sculpture, like to see the fuzz get stuff back from that :p

Most hard drives come with their own errasing stuff now, sat directly on the drive, cant remeber what the name of the prog was that allowed you to access it though

disk platters these days are glass with thin layer of aluminium, followed by a thin magnetic layer, followed by a lubricating layer

Doesn't detect any of my SATA disks at all

weird.. almost every disk that I've tried made in the last 5 or 6 years has worked like a charm..

edit:
want me to loan you our degausser we have at work? :) :p Makes the hair all over your body tingle when it discharges!

well it would certainly make my periodic zero-fill and reinstall quicker :D

well, after degaussing a drive, the drive becomes unusable.. it is a destructive form of data sanitization.. unlike software overwrites, deguassing is a permanent form of data destruction.

You can set CCleaner to securely erase files.

Open CCleaner > options > setting > secure deletion

Choose how many passes you desire.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back